high flow midpipe w/cats

you are going to get many different responses, mostly because exhaust systems are so dependent on personal taste, usually based on what someone hears in person. there are two main ingredients to exhaust taste, that is Tone and Sound Level.

Tone:

H Pipes give more low end grunt and a nice muscle-car rumble, and a nice roar under acceleration. they also account for the standard "Mustang Drone" you either love or hate.

X Pipes usually have more top-end gains, and give an exotic almost raspy sound under acceleration.

Sound Level:

straight mid-pipes (un-catted) usually are WAY louder than their catted counterparts. Most who do not like this idea of being overly loud resort to using a high-flow catalytic setup (like a Bassani Catted midpipe) where it retains the legality of the pipe (well, at least you wont get fined for running cat-less), and it keeps the sound levels down, while retaining the tone of whatever midpipe you run (X or H). High Flow catalytics still give a slight power increase over the stock catalytics, catalytics will still be a hindrance to exhaust flow however retaining much needed backpressure that gives you that linear torque feeling. however no cats will allow more exhaust flow and less backpressure, which helps top end power immensly. If you like using your RPM band daily, torque is likely not an issue, whereas staying around 2-2,500rpm daily having that throttle response may be more to your liking.

the selection of the Catback also plays a pivotal role in the overall tone. Chambered mufflers (IE Flowmasters) also tend to give a more rumbly muscle like tone. Straight through or Turbo design mufflers (IE Magnapacks) sound more aggressive.

i think for your goals, you will be mostly satisfied with a Catted H-pipe and a chambered catback.

• Sponsors (?)

a lot of the gains come from switching from a 2.25" to a 2.5" pipe, so cats dont inhibit flow too much. Especially when you are going from (like in my case) 6 big cats to two high flowing small cats

true, but still a pretty noticeable gain going from high-flow catted to straight catless.

i hated my catless x-pipe on my GT. Sounded horrible with the Spintechs in side-exit roush-style configuration. I spent most my time shifting under 2500rpm so the loss of my low end was a pretty noticeable issue, whatever mileage gain i might have gotten from ditching the cats was offset by having to use more throttle input to get going. Up top was where it shined, even on the 2v motor with nothing more than a set of UDP's and me fudging with the tune (added full timing advance, pulled a bit of fuel) it pulled really nice up top. swapped the stock H-pipe back on and realized how much i missed the muscle-car tone and the low end power i got back was very noticeable.

I run the stock H on the cobra. i still have my catless Xpipe on the side yard. its highly doubtful i will put it on, however ive been toying with the idea of a buddy making a H-piece using the X as a guide/template and seeing how they each sound.

i have the Bassani SS catted Xpipe as well along with their catback and i like it

if you decide to go with Bassani get the ss version instead of the Bx. it's a 5 peice design so you can remove the cat's if you want (it comes with race pipes) and upgrade to Bassani mid-lenth headers later on, can't do either with the 3 peice Bx pipe. i got mine for around $460 but i'm sure you can find a better price somewhere

MRT catted H-pipe was my second choice

thanks for all the input........some good fresh info is helping my decison.
Im leaning toward bassani right now for a few reasons....
I was in dallas mustang yesterday and they keep bassani in stock, $360.
not bad and I wouldnt have to deal with shipping.
i am still not sure what tone Im gonna get with the bassani to "magnaflow"
strait thru mufflers. Anyone have that combo????
I have personally heard bassani OR to flowmasters and bassani W/C to bassanis
and I didnt like either really, :shrug: