High Mileage Motor Oil?

mustangphil

Founding Member
Jul 9, 2002
No longer The Beach
Question is: Are those high milage motor oils like Valvoline MaxLife for cars with 75k and up, Quaker State and Castrol, actually worth it? I mean, do they really make the difference or is it just a sales pitch? I have 144K on my car, oil change is due pretty much tomorrow and I'm just wondering. Thanks, Phil

• Sponsors (?)

They can have a different add pack, improved VI's etc. No one can say if they are good for you since no one knows the condition of your motor or what you usually run.

Good luck.

I ran the Valvoline Max-life in my car from the time I got it till now. 133k to 164k. I don't know what it did or didn't do...but I don't have any complaints about it.

10w-30 is what I ran.

the98stang said:
An engine with that many miles I'd run straight 30 weight. All that thin sh1t will slip right past the piston rings and burn through the exhaust. Maybe run 20w-50 when summer hits....
Sounds like advice from an old timer. No reason to do this these days, IMHO (unless for detergent concerns for some reason). I didnt see info from the original poster stating an issue with burning oil. Many guys are still using 10W-30, 5W-30 and even 5W-20 in their higher-mile EFI 302's. It is entirely dependant upon the particular motor.

Redfox, you might want to check out some VOA's - it might change your opinion about what is in a given oil.

5spd GT said:
I ran the Valvoline Max-life in my car from the time I got it till now. 133k to 164k. I don't know what it did or didn't do...but I don't have any complaints about it.

10w-30 is what I ran.

I got 175K on a Geo Tracker and that is what I run, dont drive it much and would leak a bit of oil here and there, the Max Life stuff helps alot.

I bought my 5.0 when it had 136,000 miles on it. From that day on, I ran NOTHING but plain-Jane Havoline 10-30 & Ford Motorcraft filters.

The original longblock went 258,000 miles when I decided to rebuild it since it was using some oil. When I got it tore apart, the bottom end was in GREAT shape and it didn't even need torn apart to begin with. Come to find out it was just my valve seals. The crank had less than .010 wear, the bearings were still showing no bronze at all, and the piston skirts had hardly any wear.

No advertising gimmick there, just an oil that worked. Since everything was in such great shape, we just got the crank polished, pistons/rods cleaned, honed/cleaned the block and reused EVERYTHING.