High watt headlight bulbs- Anyone melt the headlight housing??

slvr302

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
New Jersey
Has anyone experienced the actual headlight housing melt or become discolored from using higher wattage headlight bulbs?

I am aware of the issues with the socket, wiring, and/or light switches melting/burning from not using an upgraded harness.

I am only concerned with the headlight housing getting messed up. Has anyone had this happen?

• Sponsors (?)

I just run Sylvania Silverstarts in all my cars. They are stock wattage but a whiter brighter light.

I'm not big into blue lights, i just wanted a clean white light which these are.

Mustang5L5 said:
I just run Sylvania Silverstarts in all my cars. They are stock wattage but a whiter brighter light.

I'm not big into blue lights, i just wanted a clean white light which these are.

I'm not into blue lights either. Just want pure white. I have Silverstars. Don't know what the car looks like at night with them yet (car is in the shop).

Mustang5L5 said:
Definitely not.

You really need to run a relay with 10G wires and use the stock headlight wires to trigger it. That should solve the problem

I have an upgraded wiring harness from suvlights.com

I'm sure I will not have an issue with wiring...just wanted to know if the housing will be affected by using high watt bulbs

Silvania Silverstars!!!

Silvania Silverstars are very high quality light bulbs...I never took before and after pictures, but the after pictures are really good...

They are more expensive than stockers, but if you want nice lights they work... :nice:

89MustangGX said:
I've run higher wattage bulbs (clear, not blue or anything) in my Mustangs and my Truck for years now. Never had a problem. Maybe not having any type of funky coating on it puts out less heat???

The coatings are used to filter out the "yellowness" of the light to make them appear more white. That wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of heat generated. Do you know which bulbs you are using by any chance?

I've bought a couple sets of those "blueish" bulbs off ebay... everytime i install them my right bulb blows... eventually my harness was messed up from me removing and adjusting tha bulbs... so i repaired that recently with tha replacement socket off 50resto. I put tha stock halogen type bulbs back in it. Haven't had a problem since, but i miss tha brighter white color of my old bulbs

slvr302 said:
The coatings are used to filter out the "yellowness" of the light to make them appear more white. That wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of heat generated. Do you know which bulbs you are using by any chance?

I'm only thinking that the coating may hold in some heat. It might not, but like I said -- never had a problem, so I have no other explanation. :shrug:

Here's a link to the bulbs I like:

http://www.classicgarage.com/classicgarage/9010clearhal.html

You can get them in higher wattage low and high, or higher wattage high with stock low. I've used both, currently using the latter. Cheap too.