Higher compression 2v heads?

1973mach1

May 19, 2003
PA
[*img]http://hometown.aol.com/t1tan1cjim/myhomepage/2vhead.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Could anyone tell me if these are the 71' early 72' heads with the higher compression? I know in 72' they started dropping compression first to 8.6-1 then to 8-1. IM hoping these are 72' heads or early 72'. I think those heads had 9.? to 1 compression? Did all 2v heads 70-73' have that dot next to the 2?

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

2vhead.jpg

Can't tell you what the dot is for. What I can tell you is that the 2 means 2bbl heads and all years were open chamber (low compression) You might find a casting number under the valve cover but you are more likely to see it when the intake is removed on the underside of a port. Hope this helps. The 70-71 4bbl heads had a closed chamber. The alternative is to buy a set of 302 cleveland heads from austrailia. They have closed chambers and will raise compression.

:nice:

I found 2 codes today, D1AE on the intake and D1ZE on the exhaust manifold, from what I read I hope this is right in saying I have a 71' engine, that would bring my HP and compression up to 9.1 to 1 which isn't as bad as 72' and 73'. And gives me a few more HP from the get go.

to identify the year of your heads, look in the rocker area for a stamping that begins with a number followed by a letter and then another number. My 68 heads have a cast number of C8OE, the date of mfg is 7L28. This breaks down as 7 meaning they were made in 1967, Ford used letters to count the months: A was January, B was Feb and so on. So L on my heads is November. 28 is the day of the month, so my heads were made on Nov 28, 1967. Use this system to figure out exactly when your heads were made.

Dave