Highway Patrol Mustangs??

Here's a question I haven't heard asked: Before the '94, Mustangs were very good and popular pursuit cars for highway patrol. (I loved the T-shirts out then with pics of a highway patrol Mustang and a GT with the legend "It takes one to catch one!")

When Ford introduced the 94, I understand they dropped the police equipment package, which caused most Highway Patrol departments to go to Camaros. With the death of the Camaro, what are the troopers going to use now? Any word if Ford is going to get back into this market with a Police Interceptor version of the 05+?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey, I brought this up in another thread and a few people got mad at the idea. We currently have 4 Camaros and no one likes to drive them because they are so dang uncomfortable. If the new Mustang is a little friendlier to our backs (as the pre 94's were) then Ford would once again own the market.
Think anyone can photochop a black and white 05?

there is a photochop floting around somewhere, i will try to pin it down and post it.

Found them, they are by vyto2
cop1.jpg
cop1rear.jpg

Lawman85 said:
Hey, I brought this up in another thread and a few people got mad at the idea. We currently have 4 Camaros and no one likes to drive them because they are so dang uncomfortable. If the new Mustang is a little friendlier to our backs (as the pre 94's were) then Ford would once again own the market.

I don't understand that comment about uncomfortable. I've been driving a Firebird (same seats) for 7 years and 120k miles and find it very comfortable. (unless it is due to the belt gear of the uniform - when I wore a deputy's badge, that was the worst part about driving - this was in the 70s) I'm 5'10" and 180 and I've heard taller folks complain, though, so your guys must all be tall. I test drove Mustangs (would have really rather bought one at that time) but found the visibility poor and it was just too slow compared to the 'Bird.

Other question... why in the world would people get mad at a legitimate question? Maybe they don't want the HP to have a car that can catch them? (If so, stay out of South Carolina - some of our Troopers are driving BMWs!! :hail2: )

I almost received one of my few speeding tickets from a cop in Nebraska who was driving a '89 LX 5.0. We discussed the merits of auto vs. stick for police work. I owned a '88 LX 5.0 at the time but was driving a 4 cylinder K-car when he nabbed me doing going 70 in a 55. He showed pity on a fellow 5.0 driver and let me off with a warning.

:flag:

65conv50 said:
I don't understand that comment about uncomfortable. I've been driving a Firebird (same seats) for 7 years and 120k miles and find it very comfortable. (unless it is due to the belt gear of the uniform - when I wore a deputy's badge, that was the worst part about driving - this was in the 70s) I'm 5'10" and 180 and I've heard taller folks complain, though, so your guys must all be tall. I test drove Mustangs (would have really rather bought one at that time) but found the visibility poor and it was just too slow compared to the 'Bird.

Other question... why in the world would people get mad at a legitimate question? Maybe they don't want the HP to have a car that can catch them? (If so, stay out of South Carolina - some of our Troopers are driving BMWs!! :hail2: )

In regular clothes the Firebirds and Camaros aren't bad. Remember we wear an additional 28-30lbs of gear (depending on leather belt vs. nylon). The biggest problem is the vest restrictions, it keeps you from being able to bend as easily getting in and out. Plus, in an 8 hour day, I get in and out of my car no less than 30 to 40 times, on a slow night. I think the fact that the Camaro seats are more reclined contributes to it.
A few forum members were upset by the idea of the po-po driving the same car they have. They said they wouldn't own one if the Cops drove them. I can't remember which thread it was in, I'll have to go look.

I know that we have a few 2002 SS camaros in our town. Do not bother trying to out run them. Would it not be sweet to have a car like that as your squad car? on the other hand it woudl suck to have to be in the back of one due to no leg room at all. Why even have a back seat? lol Well from my experience with my camaro (96) i woudl have to say that i love the seating. given they are bucket seats i do nto slide around at all. I have done 45 on a u turn and did nto move. (gotta love to drop a gear and turn it side ways)

Lawman85 said:
In regular clothes the Firebirds and Camaros aren't bad. Remember we wear an additional 28-30lbs of gear (depending on leather belt vs. nylon). The biggest problem is the vest restrictions, it keeps you from being able to bend as easily getting in and out. Plus, in an 8 hour day, I get in and out of my car no less than 30 to 40 times, on a slow night. I think the fact that the Camaro seats are more reclined contributes to it.
A few forum members were upset by the idea of the po-po driving the same car they have. They said they wouldn't own one if the Cops drove them. I can't remember which thread it was in, I'll have to go look.

Yup, that's about what I figured - all the extra gear. I was driving my '65 Mustang to duty (and occasionally on call) back in the 70s, so got a bit of that, too. But those were "flatter" seats. BUT! I lost a nephew a couple of years ago, killed on duty. In a chase on Interstate 85, a car cut him off and he took the shoulder to avoid a collision. Hie Crown Vic went down an embankment and a tree came in the driver's door. He was 2 weeks from getting his Camaro, which probably could have survived the high speed maneuver and stayed on the shoulder. Sad.

I just don't understand someone not wanting Police to have the same car. That's just dumb!

Lawman85 said:
I remember that thread I said "if I ever see a 2005+ mustang police interceptor in any form I will trade mine in and never buy a mustang again". Now I don't fell that strongly about not buying a stang again and I will be buying a red/red 05 stang even if I have to trade it in, in 6-12 month. I have nothing against police (well..) I just think they should have there own cars like the nice and roomy crown vic :nice:. That tread name was-Ward's article on 05 Mustang Platform Development.

Well personally I have absolutely no problem with cops having SSP Mustangs, I'm actually in favor of it. This might have something to do with me taking several police tests but thats another story...