Hit and Run, what should I do?

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Ok, os Im at work and someone hits my car, then I dont realize its been hit until I go to get gas earlier tonite. The back bumper has an estimated $500 (by my dad and I) damage, paint and some small body work. Should I get a police report? .Or should I just pay it out of pocket since my deductabile is $500. If I get a police report will I have to pay a deductablie and I file it with my insurance? Will insurance pay for all of it since It wasnt my fault at all?

Suggestions or tips will help me out guys

• Sponsors (?)

If the damage is $500 or less and your deductible is $500, just coughing the money up for repairs will save you in the long run, because face it, no one else is going to pay for it at this point. It's in your best interest to keep it off the books.

Cold, harsh truth...

timeless2 said:
If the damage is $500 or less and your deductible is $500, just coughing the money up for repairs will save you in the long run, because face it, no one else is going to pay for it at this point. It's in your best interest to keep it off the books.

Cold, harsh truth...

But I have to pay for the deductable? This is weird because back when I had my accident and someone hit me and it was their fault, I didnt pay a dime.
This is why getting collision is a pain in the arse!:bang:

svttech76 said:
Sorry I think your SOL. Insurance compaines treat a hit and run without witnesses like it's your fault. Think about it if they did not do that everybody would claim hit and run.
But ther is white paint on my car?
I do understand where you coming from but still....I dont have any spending money with insurance:bang: and school goin on And now my back bumper looks like poopie.

Let's all take a moment to think about how f'ked up the whole auto insurance system is in this country :notnice:

The money, and there is a whole lot of it, is sure the hell going somewhere :shrug: I ain't seen none of it and neither will the thread starter most likely :(

joshjwc9 said:
But ther is white paint on my car?
I do understand where you coming from but still....I dont have any spending money with insurance:bang: and school goin on And now my back bumper looks like poopie.
same thing happened to me about 2 months ago, white paint and all. Since I wasn't able to obtain the jerk's insurance info, my ins. co. made me pay the deductible. They nicked my tailpipe too, which brought the estimate up to about $1000., so I worked a deal with the body shop, they ordered the bumper and painted it. The ins. co. gave them $500, and I was expected to pay $500, but I left the tailpipe alone and only ended up paying $80 out of pocket. Unfortunately, though, you are SOL.

joshjwc9 said:
But I have to pay for the deductable? This is weird because back when I had my accident and someone hit me and it was their fault, I didnt pay a dime.
This is why getting collision is a pain in the arse!:bang:

Thats because in that case the other drivers insurance paid for the damage. Your insurance company may have cut you a check but the other drivers insurance company has paid your company for it.

Pay for it out of pocket.

Let's just say that you called the police and they somehow found the person that hit your car. Chances are that whoever hit your car does not even have insurance.

Being a claim adjuster, pay it out of pocket. You can file a police report to state it was a hit and run in the parking lot. Insurance would look at that and see that you are serious since filing a false police report is a misdemeanor. They would have to have the burden of proof that your car was in an at-fault accident to state it was your fault.
I have done many claims where the insured states that the car was parked and hit with no note left stating who did it. Could I prove it otherwise if no one steps forward and states their car was hit my our insured's?

Nater said:
Being a claim adjuster, pay it out of pocket. You can file a police report to state it was a hit and run in the parking lot. Insurance would look at that and see that you are serious since filing a false police report is a misdemeanor. They would have to have the burden of proof that your car was in an at-fault accident to state it was your fault.
I have done many claims where the insured states that the car was parked and hit with no note left stating who did it. Could I prove it otherwise if no one steps forward and states their car was hit my our insured's?

Exactly, but I still have to pay for it, at least I am covering my butt, my agent recomennded just paying for it, it is all cosmetic damage. The tailights werent hurt, but I hate paying the deductabile.

OTOH could I change my deductabile and pay the difference in the premium and just pay for it that way without me paying?

You could change your deductible but in the long run it will cost you more. Plus you have already talked to your agent and if you change your deductible then go back and claim it, they have a duty to the insurance company. It could be considered fraud and you would probably have SIU (Special Investigations Unit) all over you. Just not worth the difference.

I'd file the police report in hopes the cops might find the guy, although be realistic...how will they ever know? Are they going to pull over every white car they see? You don't have a tag number, description, etc. It's probably a waste of time, but sometimes it does pay off.

Point in case, someone broke into my Jeep and stole some stuff. I filed the report and 2 days later the police caught the little thugs in action this time. They recovered my digital camera but never my cell phone. After about 1 year, the little crooks got their judgement and I got my camera back. Hehe, but the icing on the cake is I just received my 2nd restitution payment for the other stuff that was never recovered.

It's all minor, but nice to know that justice was served.

In regards to the $500. DO NOT file w/ your insurance company. Think about it. You will still have to pay $500 for the deductible, plus your rates will increase and you will pay for that over the next several years.

It's a sucky situation, but it's the best you can do. Live and learn.

My parents and I have talked it over. it looks like we will file the police report, but do the body work ourselves or go look for a V6 or another GT bumper of the same color at a junkyard. Then go from there.

Also, I have been trying to decide if I should either go without collision on the next renewal or just make my deductabile less? Any recomendations?