hmm question on SVO

BELL

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2002
California
Okay here was a fun one to deal with on the side of the highway... I cruzin home from work. All of a sudden everything shut off. Like I turned the key off. no fuel pump noise nothin flat out just dead. So I really pissed / concerned cause now i'm on the shoulder of the road scratching my head. I turn the key nothin so I'm thinking okay the ign. switch is messed up. So I go to remove all useless trim thats now in my way from tearing into this thing with a leatherman in hand. I go to remove the harness thats on the column and well low and behold terminal and everything comes out with the harness connection. and this little black plastic peice with a contact plate are now in my hand.

I was stumped at that point so i took the contact plate and started to make contact with terminal and click fuel pump turns on. I was excited at that point power is good so I went to look for some handy cable ties and i find a couple. clamp the contact peice back to the terminal and I'm in buisness. got it started made the rest of my ride home.

So now, is the terminal peice that the column harness plugs into any ideas if its replaceable or does it get replaced as an assembly? people from ford just blew me off without checking the part and told me obsolete. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure because I have not had one apart for awhile, but the ignition switch assembly includes the connector for the harness to plug into, and ignition switches are readily availble at parts stores.

The actual plastic connector on the end of the harness may be a Ford only part, and they don't like to sell connectors even on new cars. Note that the wires can be removed separately, if you are careful....

Try a couple parts stores, as there are connector repair kits for some on the ones that melt or fail regularly.....like the IRCM connector.

Try the Motorcraft website, as they list a lot of Ford wiring harness connectors.

I need some to replace the melted ones on my Turbo Coupe, and that's how I found that site.

well good news, I went downt he ford dealer ( i get anything for less then wholesale :D ) well I found the parts kid that answered the phone didnt know they made and SVO (he happend to be standing there when I went in to talk to the parts manager (my friend). He proceeded to show the noob how to look for older part numbers and cross reference and all that crap. All said and done ignition switch for 7.98+ tax.

so my hour i spent in the blistering sun (it was like 108 yesterday) was all cause of a less then 10 dollar part. My luck....

all is well and i'm rather surprised of my inginuity to resolve this on the side of road:nice: