Holding the Torque Converter, pissing me OFF

Defleshed

Satanic Mechanic
Nov 30, 2003
In Torment, In Hell
yeah yeah, hold to torque converter so the friggin crank doesnt spin when you're trying to put the new under drive crank pulley on. Well guess what. I had a friend twist the crank while i sat under the car with a friggin flashlight, looking for somewhere to put the wrench, and guess what. I'm not seeing crap. I do see, this little gold thing however, and I'm thinking maybe I could use a screwdriver to hold it, or maybe a small hex key. Dont know. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I've boxed it in red in one of the pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

If you are afraid of ringing the bolt off, just turn the gun down a little bit. But you shouldn't have to worry about anyway. My impact gun has 650lb/ft of torque and it didn't ring it off. That's a pretty damn big bolt.

stang9300 said:
If you are afraid of ringing the bolt off, just turn the gun down a little bit. But you shouldn't have to worry about anyway. My impact gun has 650lb/ft of torque and it didn't ring it off. That's a pretty damn big bolt.

good point. you didnt use all that torque on that bolt though, did you???

my gun is rated at 375? 350? somewhere in that range. not bad for an 90 dollar impact gun. using a breaker bar is getting me no where, crank keeps spinning. alright, i'll give the impact gun a good a little later, after people are awake, because my air compressor is loud as hell lol

Putting the car in gear won't help any, it will turn through the torque converter. There is no mechanical lock in an auto unless the converter is locked. I held mine by putting a wrench on one of the flex plate bolts. There should be a little inspection hole (not the one on the bottom of the bellhousing) that you can rotate the engine and see the flex plate bolts. As far as the pictures you posted, what you would be looking for is the drain plug for the torque converter. What year car do you have? My 1999 has a drain plug, but I guess yours doesn't.

Troy

If there is no drain plug, then you can use one of the flex plate bolts as "e3troy" said. FWIW, the Haynes manual says to "wedge a screwdriver in between the starter gear and the flex plate" but I have never had the nerve to do it (seems a little low tech).