Holiday project

19stang67

Founding Member
Jul 29, 2002
Tampa, FL
Hey guys,

Here is my project. I have just taken my 351W 67 coupe off the road to restore it and decided the heads from the engine would be perfect on 90 5.0 vert. They are a set of D0OE heads, exhaust ported (no bump) and port matched, intakes port matched (not much help needed here for my needs), screw in studs and guide plates, 2.02 intake and 1.6 exhaust and a set of double springs. Here are my questions:

1) trying to come up with a parts list to do the swap. I know I will need a set of the head bolts with the step washers, head and intake gaskets (intake and exhaust), valve cover gaskets, and hardened push rods. Anything else?

2) I have the set of Crane roller rockers i was using before. Will I need a different length pushrod for this set up (I would think not, but...)?

3) Will the original valve covers work with the studs and rollers or do I need to get a set of taller ones?

4) I will be keeping the stock cam, so how about piston-to-valve clearence? I think I read in a different post that it should be a problem, as far as lift, until I get to around .500, but what about the 2.02s?

5) I think I will need to change the springs (any help here?). I had the SVO 351 cam in the 351 (.542 I and E if I remember right). I was thinking I could just remove the inner spring and use the outer (as long as the spring rate was ok). Am I thinking right here?

6) Should I replace the roler lifter while I am in there? I have a line on a new set that the guy sold the engine they were going into. I heard the stock ones tend to collapse (and the 5.0 has about 140K on it).

7) What else have I overlooked?

Sorry so long. TIA for any input.

• Sponsors (?)