Home head Porting

MyHoFoSho

Aug 14, 2007
ok i got a set of gt 40 heads and tfs1 cam to put in my car i was just wondering if any one has done a home port job on heads before and what you used and any tips and if it matters if the runners have the same flow from cylinder to cylinder because i have no way to measure if they are the same. Also if is should gasket match or just smooth them out. I have ported a go kart motor when i was like 13 and looked good but i know that it is a different animal so i kind of know what i am doing but dont want to mess up my heads thanks for the help:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

there are some decent write ups out there, but the general concensus is that if you have never done it before leave it to someone else. Just taking a dremel to your heads could actually make them worse.

ok i got a set of gt 40 heads and tfs1 cam to put in my car i was just wondering if any one has done a home port job on heads before and what you used and any tips and if it matters if the runners have the same flow from cylinder to cylinder because i have no way to measure if they are the same. Also if is should gasket match or just smooth them out. I have ported a go kart motor when i was like 13 and looked good but i know that it is a different animal so i kind of know what i am doing but dont want to mess up my heads thanks for the help:shrug:

the eazyest thing to do is on the exhaust port is grond down smooth the hump and the smooth the entire port w/ a sanding roll, then on the chambers smooth everything out and grind down any bumps but becareful here.....and last try yo gasket match the intake and exhaust ports.....good luck