homemade oil seperator

95blackstanggt

Jun 25, 2005
Belton
1 inch conduit tie,3/4 inch self tapping screws, 4 feet of 3/8 fuel line ,1 water seperator for a air compressor,and 2 half inch plastic elbows all of this is at lowes or hardware store that sells air compressor supples. hook the in side to the pcv valve located at the lower backside of the lower intake then hook the out side to the t fitting where the pcv valve was hooked before then mount where it will clear hood, some where on the firewall. it works for the 5.0. for pics go to steeda.com and its under superchager and accessories

install time 20 mins while drinking a beer

• Sponsors (?)

attachment.php

There's a picture I took of his oil seperator. Turned out great.

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 788
I did some asking on the air tool separator and syn oil issue. No yes or no info here, but shops have run them with PAO synthetic oil and have no issues.

I have not yet had an issue, but who knows. I have got to be pushing its temp rating too (mine says 150*F IIRC). Ambient temps here can be 115*F and motor temps of 220*F. It is mounted on the pass side firewall.

I keep a 3/8 Brass barbed fitting in the trunk - if the separator takes a poo, I can remove the lines and toss the Double male Barbed fitting on.

rio95 said:
Yeah, I don't see why synthetic would not work????

Who implied that it doesnt "work"??

That's not the problem...the problem is that the Syn oil is not compatible with the separator material....has nothing to do with not "working"...it will separate it fine...will prolly eat through the material..

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
Who implied that it doesnt "work"??

That's not the problem...the problem is that the Syn oil is not compatible with the separator material....has nothing to do with not "working"...it will separate it fine...will prolly eat through the material..

RC

So does anyone have one that will work with synthetic oil without eating away the material?

After reading the other thread that was all the rage about the oil separator a few weeks back, I went and looked at my Air tool filter and came up with the same idea... It's sweet to see it functional. Would a oil separator be beneficial on a stock setup at all, or is this mostly for more highly moded engines?
:cheers:

I'll let you know in a couple days. My engine is basically stock but I have been losing about a 1/2 quart of oil every 1k miles. I jsut put one on hoping that it helps my mileage a little bit, I seem to be stick at 19mpg regardless of when my car was tock to adding the gears, exhaust, etc...

I figure for about $25 it is worth a try.

Muy_Pyro said:
Would a oil separator be beneficial on a stock setup at all, or is this mostly for more highly moded engines?
It all comes down to how much blow-by an engine produces. A stock engine can have a ton, and HCI combos often have just as much.

If have noticed oil in the plenum, all over the inside of the PCV line, etc, go for it. If you dont need the filtering, then no oil will collect. No biggie. If not needed, it would be like having an extra fuel filter or an extra fuse in series on a circuit.

I doubt many folks could keep one of these things completely dry for an extended amount of time.
Good luck.

Muy_Pyro said:
After reading the other thread that was all the rage about the oil separator a few weeks back, I went and looked at my Air tool filter and came up with the same idea... It's sweet to see it functional. Would a oil separator be beneficial on a stock setup at all, or is this mostly for more highly moded engines?

Hell it's cheap to make, go ahead and make one now. At the very least it'll be there if you need it down the road.