Homemade sand blasting cabinet

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Has anyone built one before? I have seen things online about building your own but can't seem to find them now. Wanna get some ideas on what others have done. I know you can buy them but my dad already has a sand blaster so I just need a cabinet. Also the ones you buy are kinda small I want a big one. Also I have seen hey have air things on them I guess this is to reduce pressure in the cabinet? Any idea on what to use for this If i do build one?

Heres one at Harbor Freight its $100 but still its not very big. I figure if I'm gonna do it, do it up big so I can fit all kinda **** in there

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38440

• Sponsors (?)

I want to build a booth....

like a garage bay, with a metal grate floor that has a sub floor (about 1-2feet lower than the grate) that has angled sheetmetal sides to funnel the blasting meterial to the hose.

A cabnit is also bad arse and I would love to see some home build plans or parts lists,

a full bay would be crazy lol. If I build the cabinet i'll be sure to post pics and stuff. Just gotta decide if the size that i was planing on is worth it. Its bigger the the one I posted but not much I forget what i came up with when I measured where I want to put it so I'll have to double check and see

Here's mine....I can take some dim's if you like?? This one has the entire top made of glass...

10256.jpg

Rio is that plastic tote(sp?) an extra capacity thing or is it just the way its sitting? That looks perfect though for a cab.

What is the compressor size req. for that?

I was looking at bench grinder/buffer also until my grandmother said my grandpa had one in the basement (put up from when they sold one of the retirement homes) that she gave me after he passed. Its an old school belt driven one.

No I dont, me of all people...:D

some dude was throwing it out so I scammed it...It works the balls. I have one container of Black Beauty, another for Gass bead...
The tops hinged and flips all the way over. Only thing I dont like is the dude made the hand holes to low...Its almost like your making out with the glass...:D

I have seem them in Eastwood to...prices ain't all that bad...guess that depends on your budget though...

Ya it just a big tupperware container with the cover cut nice and snug, it feeds and returns there...I have a big mother compressor, 180 psi...I run a 3/8" dia pc of copper tube into the container attached to the gun line and its siphon fed...You can see the Orange thing on the side in the pic, thats an air/water filter like you'd use for an paint gun. I just connect the air to that...Also have a regulater right there to...you wanna dial your psi dependant on what your blasting...You dont really need a monster compressor...

Hey Andy (think thanks right) you ever measure your cabinet?

Just re-measured the spot I'd like to put mine. Its a bit overkill but ya never know. Better to have it to big then to small and need to fit something big in it someday.

I'm looking at about 35X28X30 then building a set of legs for it.

It will probably be bigger I'm known for not compensating for the width of the wood so my stuff always turns out bigger lol

Here you go...yours is bigger than mine...sounds good..mines like 36x24x22 high.

Base...
36" across the front X 24" wide
30" leg hgt.... hand holes at 37.5 from floor (to low)

Top..
36" wide x 26"...36"x19" pc of glass for top and "piano" hinged for opening(use tempered glass so it the grit doesn't frost it as quickly and you cant see chit...:D )
The sides are tapered from 22" at the back to 15" at the front..

Mine uses 1x1 tubing for a floor with 1/8" dia wire...

Hope that helps...If you want some specific pics for whatever let me know and I'll snap some..