Honest Opinions on clutch replacement

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
My clutch is on it's last leg, so I bought a King Cobra kit along with a new flywheel. However, I'm not 100% sure I should attempt to install it.

Here's my question - can an average person with average mechanical skills (me) do this without much of a hassle, or should I have someone do it for me? I've done all of the work on my car since I've owned it, but I've never replaced a clutch before. How hard is it?

I'll make sure I have all the right tools (air tools, hand torque wrench, etc.) and I have jrichker's instructions along with a Haynes manual. I'll also plan on a couple days to do it in case I run into trouble.

Should I do this?

• Sponsors (?)

aaron11272 said:
My clutch is on it's last leg, so I bought a King Cobra kit along with a new flywheel. However, I'm not 100% sure I should attempt to install it.

Here's my question - can an average person with average mechanical skills (me) do this without much of a hassle, or should I have someone do it for me? I've done all of the work on my car since I've owned it, but I've never replaced a clutch before. How hard is it?

I'll make sure I have all the right tools (air tools, hand torque wrench, etc.) and I have jrichker's instructions along with a Haynes manual. I'll also plan on a couple days to do it in case I run into trouble.

Should I do this?
Yeah I did it fine under my dads supervision. If you don't have a good shop manual, now would be a GREAT time to invest in one. Good luck. Its not that hard.

grey5.0beast said:
Yeah I did it fine under my dads supervision. If you don't have a good shop manual, now would be a GREAT time to invest in one. Good luck. Its not that hard.

Well if YOU can do it....

JK :D - nice to know - maybe I will attempt it. How much did your dad have to help you?

I let my personal mechanic install my Spec 1. :rlaugh:

Little bro is in auto tech school... pretty much jumps at the chance to turn a wrench on my car... and hey.. if that means I dont have to put in any effort in then I jump at that chance :p

But yea, considering the level of school he had gone through at the time... id say a mechanically inclined person could accomplish it without much trouble.

aaron11272 said:
Well if YOU can do it....

JK :D - nice to know - maybe I will attempt it. How much did your dad have to help you?
Alittle on the tough stuff like some of the hard bolts to get to and ones that were stuck. I did it when I was 14. He let me hold the tranny on MY chest while he bolted it back up lol. Bastard.

the t5 weighs about 80# I took it all apart myself and had a buddy help me raise it back in by hand and hold it while I started the bolts. Its easy just take you time.

I just finished my AOD to T5 swap. I had the transmission in and out 3 times and did the flywheel and clutch twice.(I replaced the old iron flywheel and what looked to be 100,000 mile king cobra clutch with new stuff)

I didn't have help so if you get the car high enough on the jack stands, like 17+ inches. The transmission will fit right on a floor jack and you can guide it in laying under the k member.

It's not hard on a T5.

Remove driveshaft, remove all wiring connectors, remove mount and rear crossmember, may need to remove H-pipe, remove shifter assembly, remove four bolts that attach trans to bellhousing, remove trans, remove clutch cable, remove bellhousing bolts, remove pressure plate, remove flywheel. If you want to replace the rear main this would be a good time to do it. Also, the pilot berring. This will probally be the most difficult part, because they don't like comming out. Having the right tools is a major plus, and having a lift is an even better plus.

If you use a transmission jack, you'll need a tall floor jack and some tall jackstands. It needs about 21"-23" inches of clearance to get the transmission jack under the car with the transmission on it.

took me 4 hours last time alone, transmission on my belly while I put it in its place. The hardest part for me was the starter, it had a rounded bolt that I had trouble with...

yeah its a easy job , shouldnt take u more than a full saturday on ur first time. just take ur time, double check everything twice and have at it. dont forget to take out the shifter,u can leave it in there but its easier to put the trans in without the shifter and when ur holding a 80 pound tranny by urself underneath a car, the last thing u want is a holdup and a snag. you want everything to go as smooth as possible, the two hardest parts are gonna be the Probably rust exhaust pipe bolts and getting the cluthch fork to hold the throwout bearing while u install it , without it falling out, they can be a bitch sometimes. sooo good luck and come back if u run into problems:D :SNSign: