Hood "flapping" in the wind...

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, most everyone with the stock hood has that issue. I bought some hood pins to make sure it won't actually fly off, but I have yet to install them. I think some aftermarket hoods with vents solve that issue.

Neither of ours do (though one is aftermarket), but I've heard many people have this issue. Sometimes adjusting the bumpers helps. Otherwise it's time for hood pins or a new hood.

I was able to find a balance in adjusting the hood bumper stops that worked. In the trial and error of doing so I had my hood pop-up at 75mph...that was fun. The safety catch stopped it from flying off.

Still with my adjustments the hood was only stable until 90mph. Around there it starts to flap again. But I hardly see those speeds, heh.

In my new car I haven't had to touch it. It's been stable up to 75mph or so.

I had that problem at the drag strip so I put on real hood pins. Problem solved.

Interestingly, I met the s197 chief engineer (long Vietnamese name) and Carlisle Ford Nationals two years back, and I brought the hood flapping issue up while he inspected my car. He began to show me how to adjust the bumpers, but I said I had been through that and he frowned, turned to an assistent who wrote something down, and said "I'll look into that". Of course, he was transferred to South America operations soon after that and probably never had a chance to pass on the issue.

John

Mine does the same thing. Adjusting the hood stops did not work. I believe it's more to do with the material (aluminum) the hood is made out of. It's a little floppier then steel. It doesn't bother me at all. My old 07 GT did the same thing. It's not gunna go anywhere. If it was, there would be a recall on it.

the hood actually did fly open on one of the mustangs that race in the grand am series they air on speed tv. Their fix for it was hood pins.

About hood vents... are there any issues one would have to worry about with rain, ice? i know the gt500 has hood vents, any precautions taken by ford in the engine bay?

Mine starts flapping around 120 or so. Gives me an uneasy feeling and at my last HPDE, I had an instructor ride along and he was getting scared that the hood might fly up. I plan on getting hoodpins soon for piece of mind if anything else.

The reason the hood shakes is because the front end of the car is not aerodynamic because of the retro styling. The air doesn't flow over the top of the hood like most cars, it flows through the grille and builds pressure under the hood. I installed hood pins in the location of the outer 2 adjustable hood stops and it's been good ever since.

I know this thread is a little old but I was wondering if the Cervinis Heat Extractor hood would elminate the problem. I have the same problem as everyone else in this thread and was just wondering if that hood would help. My hood starts doing the shake at 80mph (especially with a head wind) and at 100+ it looks like its ready to come off. Im thinking with the heat extractor vents letting the air from under the cervinis hood out maybe it wouldn't shake. Anyone who has that hood please let me know your experiences. Thanks

Looks like someone might need hood pins:) Actually a lot of mustangs hoods have that flapping effect. It's common but I recommend some hood pins just in case if your worried about the hood flapping up and into your windshield while driving. Mine popped up the other day and all most gave me a heart attack but the thing is my buddy closed my hood because we were fixing a squeaking noise and I guess he didn't close it all the way. That b******:mad: is never closing it again or if he does, I'll have to inspect it before I leave.

Looks like someone might need hood pins:) Actually a lot of mustangs hoods have that flapping effect. It's common but I recommend some hood pins just in case if your worried about the hood flapping up and into your windshield while driving. Mine popped up the other day and all most gave me a heart attack but the thing is my buddy closed my hood because we were fixing a squeaking noise and I guess he didn't close it all the way. That b******:mad: is never closing it again or if he does, I'll have to inspect it before I leave.

mine has popped up three times over 75, THANK GOD the hook caught it. anyway shelby pins are on the way.