Hood Leak?

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech' started by Luke Richmond, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Luke Richmond

Luke Richmond New Member

I recently purchased a 2013 Mustang V6 with performance package. Love it.

I noticed, however, when washing the car with a hot engine that I can hear water dripping onto hot metal (perhaps the exhaust manifold) under the hood. The seal lining the hood by the windshield seems to connect well. I'm not sure if this is a defect, or a characteristic, but it doesn't seem like water touching extremely hot metal is ever a good thing. I don't want a warped/cracked exhaust manifold.

I might take it in to have it checked out, has anyone else noticed this?
  2. FordCustSrvc

FordCustSrvc Member

Hi there,

It certainly wouldn't hurt to swing by the dealership so they can take a look. At the very least, a Ford certified tech will give you some peace of mind. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via PM.

Have a great day!
    Crystal
  3. Luke Richmond

Luke Richmond New Member

I washed the stang again yesterday and investigated this further. It is dripping on the driver's side exhaust pipe, on what looks to be the catalytic converter.. not the manifold as I suspected. Any new comments based on this info before I make the 40 minute traffic-laden drive to my dealer?
  4. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

All I have is this... Don't wash the car when the engine is hot. You're supposed to allow time for it cool anyway before washing or waxing. Continuing to wash under those circumstances will prematurely wreck the finish of your hood.
  5. MustanginRI

MustanginRI New Member

On the 2005-2009 mustangs there are cowl drains on the firewall. One on the passenger side one on the drivers side. On mine they drain on to the exhaust system and you get a sizzling sound every time I wash mine.
  6. earleys94gt

earleys94gt Active Member

+1 on the drains.

There are many other cars where you can hear the exhaust being hit by water. Is there a large amount of water hitting the exhaust, or is it more of a "sprinkle" of water?