Hood Pins - Only Took 7 Hours To Install

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Oh My GOD!!!!

I'm never going to do this EVER again!

When I bought my ram air hood from Suncoast Creations, I didn't realise that after market hoods were required to meet certain safety standards. As such, the day before it was scheduled to arrive, I bought some hood pins.

The next day I took the car and new hood into a shop and had everything done professionally including color matching. I requested that the shop put the pins in, but when I went to pick up the car, they decided not to as there was really no place to put them in with all the under hood ducting built in to the hood. Besides, they said that all hoods like this are supposed have these certain safety standards built in.

About a year after the hood was on, I noticed the cheap-ass rivets holding in the hood latch locking mechanism were all loose. I drilled them out and put bolts, washers, and locking washers in.

A year after that, while driving down the Thruway (last week), I noticed my hood jumping up and down at 70mph. So, after two years, I finally got around to installing the hood pins that were lying in the bottom of a toolbox in the garage all covered in dust.

I figure, well, I'll spend some good quality time with my car today, a little male bonding I guess for two hours. Nope! It took me 7 $#^$#@^ hours to get these simple little things put in, and a trip to the hardware store to buy a new metal grinding wheel.

The shop was right, the ducting and double layer of the hood prevented putting the hood pins right into existing metal, so I opted for the headlight covers as thay are held in with a few hundred screws. Normally the pins are adjustable with a nut on either side of the metal to secure them into and be hight-adjustable. To make a seven hour long story short, I cut the pins down, twice, measured everything at least ten times over with the aid of paper overlays on the top and bottom of the hood, fabricated offset rubber bushings and finally installed them.

You only get one shot at drilling a hole in a thousand dollar hood, so I took my time (obviously!). In the process, I had to pull my headlights, which I never really got out of there despite having a Chilton's book in front of me (almost useless), and left about two inches of skin in various places in the driveway, on the hood, on the engine, in the garage, and all over the front door! It looked like a murder happened, and all I did was "scrape" my knuckles!

In short, unless you have the time, patience, mathematical knowledge, and bravery, TAKE IT SOMEWHERE TO BE DONE! I'm sure it would have been easier on a stock hood, or at least a non-ram air hood of this type, but I needed a little reassurance that my hood wouldn't go flying off my car, and where I decided to attach the pins, this would at least give me a margin of safety to pull over without causing any accidents if the hood latch were to give out. Besides, I think they look good!

Done. I'm drinking beer now after that ordeal, and you can have a look see below...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MVC-001F.jpg
    MVC-001F.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,158
  • MVC-002F.jpg
    MVC-002F.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm getting sick of paying people (garages) for doing work I SHOULD be able to do myself and getting raped in the end! Hood - $950 delivered, paint job - $1600!!! Now, I just say F it, and go for it. We'll see how this attitude goes when I install my lowering kit. Whoo! Better keep a whole case of beer on hand for when I'm done with this next one!

Thanks SpectorV for the install instructions.

I still need to buy a torque wrench for this prject, but I chalk it up as a "have to have" tool now! I'm finally starting to fill up that tripple-decker Craftsman tool chest from Sears!

By the way, now that I'm drunk, Big Lots has a sale on a 2HP air compressor w/ 4 gal. tank for $99, and 2 ton jacks for $14!!!

And thanks for the thumbs up stlboarder!

Would you settle for kick knuckles?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, you're more stoked about it than I am!!!

Here's the skin flicks...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MVC-004F.jpg
    MVC-004F.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,079
  • MVC-005F.jpg
    MVC-005F.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,985
MarvinMyCat said:
Would you settle for kick knuckles?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, you're more stoked about it than I am!!!

Here's the skin flicks...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice!... I'm pretty lucky though, I have really thick skin so I don't bleed very easily, but I do get chunks of skin taken out. I have had a guy that worked on my last car get blood all over the engine bay. I was just telling him how when I did this (whatever it was) I took a chunk outta my thumb. The next thing I see blood all over the bay. He was like "I guess I did too?" Kinda funny

Lol i had to install hood pins once...god i hated it. remember the cowl hood i used to have. Took me about 3-4 hours to get the hood pins on and working. I would never recommend anyone doing this. Its kinda like when i swapped my rear end. ITS JUST NOT FUN. Although marvin you say you like to do everything. Heh, i do my own paint work...think about how big of a bitch that is! I literaly do everything myself because i dont have the money to be spending it on installs.

aPICTURES1_100small.jpg

I'll post mor pics so you decide if you like the hood or not. I'm currently in Rochester now for the next two days, so after work, I'll have some time for that.

In the mean time, go to Suncostcreations.com to see other's rides.

ganador01 said:
Lol i had to install hood pins once...god i hated it. remember the cowl hood i used to have. Took me about 3-4 hours to get the hood pins on and working. I would never recommend anyone doing this. Its kinda like when i swapped my rear end. ITS JUST NOT FUN. Although marvin you say you like to do everything. Heh, i do my own paint work...think about how big of a bitch that is! I literaly do everything myself because i dont have the money to be spending it on installs.

aPICTURES1_100small.jpg
lol, i think this picture appears in at least 35% of all stangnet posts

For BABstangV6,

Pics of car... Finally! I also used some of that stringy fiberglass to seal the hood pin passageways through the hood to keep out water and assure the functionality of the ram air system. Next up, use some regular fiberglass and sand before spot painting...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Car1.jpg
    Car1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,163
  • Car2.jpg
    Car2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,762
Well, keep in mind my hood is hollow. I had two seperate surfaces to drill through. I had to pull the headlights out as far as I could. One hour was spent measuring, testing, remeasuring, and going over the setup many many times before I decided where to put the pins, and checking where they would hit the bottom of the hood. Measure again to see where they would poke through the hood so they looked good. Since I was limited to under-headlight cover space, I had to cut the bolts, cut the nuts in half, and make sure they would not hit the headlight housings. Had to fabricate thick offset rubber spacers in oredr to compensate for the slope of the headlight covers to make sure the pins were vertical and nice and straight across two axis. Had to cut connical holes so that the pins would not rub against the bottom of the hood and drilling would only leave a small hole at the top.

After a test fit, I could see the bolts needed to be cut down again. Only having 1/2 an inch to get my fingures into under the headlight covers took forever to position the bolts inplace, and I dropped them 467 times before I found a surgical clamp to use to hold them. Even then, the clamps are only made for pinching off arteries, and weren't that great at holding a piece of metal inplace while I turned a bolt into them.

Putting back the headlights and aligning the beams correctly took some time. Drilling the strike plates holes took time. Cleaning the outside of the car and engine bay despite my covereing everything took time because of all the fiberglass drilled out was EVERYWHERE. Then I spent 1/2 an hour playing with the pins some more to make sure they were aligned right permanently.

Later, I went to a hardware store and picked up some 1/4 " galvanized steel and made some nice sturdy wedges to go under the rubber offset bushings, just to make sure. Then I spent time fiberglassing the holes up and sanding. That was an additional two hours there ontop of the 7 spent already.

Next up, fabricate some decent looking covers for the offset bushings and metal wedges so it looks presentable when the hood is open. Oh yea, an hour spent fabricating a bracket to assist the cheesey airbox bracket in holding the airbox inplace so it wouldn't fall out or move anymore.

Also, I never did this before and only had an idea of how to do it. I mean it's pretty straight forward, but for my application, it was unconventional. If you were to put pins on a simple hood, I'm sure it would net take even half as long. I would recommend getting some metal strips and using them as diagonal brackets to hold the pins in. That way they are adjustable and you can get to the bolts underneath very easily. The hardest part would be cutting the metal and positioning them exactly where you want the pins to be.