Hood Scoop Fixing

I've just bought a very nice painted hood scoop from The Spoiler Store on ebay and just like the GT500 spoiler, it's top notch. However, they supply two screws to screw through the hood which i have no intention of doing.

Certain scoops like the 3D carbon only use 3M tape. This scoop has tape but it's white backing not the usual 3M red. The question is this - has anyone actually lost a hood scoop secured only by tape. I'm going to take the risk as the rear spoiler would need a crane to remove it by my reckoning.

• Sponsors (?)

I've just bought a very nice painted hood scoop from The Spoiler Store on ebay and just like the GT500 spoiler, it's top notch. However, they supply two screws to screw through the hood which i have no intention of doing.

Certain scoops like the 3D carbon only use 3M tape. This scoop has tape but it's white backing not the usual 3M red. The question is this - has anyone actually lost a hood scoop secured only by tape. I'm going to take the risk as the rear spoiler would need a crane to remove it by my reckoning.

Sorry I cannot answer this for you, but did you just attach your spoiler from them with 3M tape?

Sorry I cannot answer this for you, but did you just attach your spoiler from them with 3M tape?

No, I did use the two studs you're supposed to but it was obvious that once it was stuck on, there was no way it was ever coming off as I did try to lift it to reposition it a millimetre - even after application, it lifted the rear of the car up on the springs and showed no sign of relinquishing it's grip - from which I conclude that it wouldn't come off.

The thing is that I do understand why they advise these fixings as a legal backup to protect themselves but I have Cervini side ducts which only attach using red 3M tape and they are like parachutes and show no signs of budging. I suppose if they flew off, they'd just fly away but a hood scoop, arguably, could hit the screen and give rise to liabilty blah, blah, blah so it would be my risk and I'm sure I'd notice if it even started to lift.

I would be concerned for some reason of just using the tape on a soop that is "open mouthed" and can catch air. If it is a fake opening (blacked out) I don't think it will matter much.

But if you are going to give it a go, get the red 3M brand tape only, and there is a packet prep cloth by 3M that is for this type of application. If you use the prep first the chances of success are better in my opinion.

3m tape should do the job.
I had one on a Sport Trac once that stayed put. I did have a small section that wanted to come up but the whole thing never even tried to come up.
Prep well, let it set for 24 hours or so and you should be OK.

My brother bought a car that the previous owner put a roof scoop on. The scoop had been on there for 2 or 3 years and one day going down the road a gust of wind caught it and ripped it off. The metal screen that was in the opening stayed put. Looked pretty funny with a chunk of wire mesh standing up in the middle of no where. Any way you might want to use the screws since the tape seems to lose holding power as it ages and is in the elements.

I lost one of my side window scoops on the A14 while on my way to have the SVA conversion done. I didn't realize it at first, until I looked over to my right to get in the right lane and realized I could see out that window! By that point the scoop was long gone back down the road. :( 3M tape is some real good stuff, but it is by no means permanent or infallible.