hood scoop idea open for suggestions

LILCBRA

I wish I didn't have all of these balls in the air
15 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
Alright....I have been waiting for my hood scoop for a while now. The guy that painted my car is having trouble color-matching the gold stripes and I would really like to get my car in one piece. The scoop he has is the all familiar Cobra-Jet scoop....like the 68-70 Mustang GT/Mach I and Torino GT used. I think that scoop looks pretty damn good on the car, as long as the colors match. I also like the look of the 67-8 GT500 hoods. I did see one on Ebay a while back that was molded into a 74 hood, but since my car is painted, I didnt want to swap out to the 74 front fascia. The alternative that I have brainstormed a couple days ago is to modify the 79-80something scoops to look like the GT500. The Cobra stripes wouldn't pose a problem running around any compound angles or curves, so they could be laid on like the rest of the car. I think I am going to try a little fiberglass work with this scoop. I guess I am looking for suggestions or opinions on what all of you would do. Also, if any of you have done alot of fiberglass work, what would be the best approach, as I have no experience at all. Thanks for any input....

• Sponsors (?)

715013_14_full.jpg

This is kind of the look that inspired me for this scoop. I already have the hood painted, as is the rest of the car, so I don't really want to take the hood to the extremes of bonding a scoop on or having a new hood fabbed. I do think that this hood would look pretty tough on my Cobra, it is just the only one I have ever seen, and it is for a 74 to boot....just don't know if I should wait around until my guy gets the paint right, or just fab the scoop in my first post, have him shoot it black, lay the stripes on and mount it. The little problem I have is that I have never worked with fiberglass...don't know if I'll screw it up or not. I did start on it earlier though, not doing too bad so far....at least as far as I can tell. I guess we can wait and see when I start actually laying glass on and stuff. Any hints and tips are still welcome!!

Bonding a scoop on is tough ( they always seem to crack somewhere) Your best bet is to go the bolt on route. Pedalstals can be made with fiberglass resin ( some matting) and small cardboard tubes. After this is done reinforce with more matting, Drill out and use the screw in spoiler type studs. ( I have some) I added 2 1/2 " to a 79 indy pace car hood scoop for my 79 Pro Streeter and extended the pedalstals, and it all worked out fine. (hint) make the mounts a little long and grind them down where you need them to be. Check out my cobra clone for a bonded on cowl induction scoop!!

I guess maybe I am not being real clear. Every one seems to be responding to the idea that I am going to either bond the scoop to the hood or find a bonding scoop to try to convert. I am trying to find out if glassing the middle "finger" is feasable and would last. Also, since I have never done fiberglass work, maybe some hints or tricks on what to do. It basically boils down to bolting either one scoop or the other on my hood after they are shot in black and have the gold striping done. Ben (my friend) says it will be easier to paint the Cobra-jet scoop gold and run the 1" stripe in vinyl down the center, but last I knew, he was having a hell of a time matching the gold. The brainstorm I came up with would make painting alot easier. He could shoot it in black and lay the gold vinyl on it flat, instead of going around the compound radii and angles of the Cobra-jet scoop. I was just looking to flair the other scoop up. I like the GT500 hoods, and the one fiberglass hood above looked pretty cool, but it was for a 74, so I would have had to find a 74 front fascia and go through everything involved to get it to look right, so I opted not to get the hood off of Ebay when it was there. This white scoop was actually my brother's, he didn't want it anymore, so I come up with this plan of the middle "finger" to mimic the GT500 hood, although it will be a bolt on scoop. I hope this helps clear what my intentions were with this post, and I do appreciate everyone's response! Please...somone point me in the right direction!!!! :shrug:

Hey 393boss, I should have looked throught the fender flare post sooner!!! I still need to look through those websites to see exactly how to work this stuff, but since your a body man, what would be the easiest way to make this "finger"? I kind of figured on using foam to start with as the form, so I think I was on the right track by what I read in the flare post, but will covering it with aluminum foil, like I did so far to help cover where some kids or whatever decided to poke their fingers into while it was on the shelf at the store, help as a release agent when I lay resin/matting down, or is there a better way? I kind of figure that I will need to lay it on a hood as to get the proper height and contour so that the finger doesn't have any issues when I bolt it on, so would foil work there as well? I know that fiberglass works in layers, so what kind of matting would be the best for doing something like this and how much do you think it would take? I had the brainstorm of something like cheap furnace filters since they are made of fiberglass, but I wonder if they are too thin to offer any kind of strength, unless I layer them pretty heavy. Would that even work? Thanks so much for responding!!! I read my earlier post tonight again and I kind of sounded like I was bitching a little, I didn't mean it that way, so my apologies to all!!!

You should be able to buy a proper small fiberglass repair kit and bondo from most auto shops or walmart maybe?, even hobbys stores, follow the instructions on mixing. You could try it your way or also use card board cut/trimed and taped together to the shape you want, cover it in glass mat/resin. from there glass mat/resin it on to the scoop and use bondo for finishing/contouring. It's hard to give you all details like this, for this small part I would suggest going to your local hobby/crafts store, people there should be able to help/set you up with all materials and ideas for install.

I have worked on this scoop for the past couple weeks now. I tried the resin and fiberglass from furnace filters...why not, huh? Anyways, the resin I bought at the local hardware store was old and didn't work too well. So I went to Wally-World and bought the repair kit. It worked wonderfully!!! I now have a new scoop instead of the one I was going to use and Ben should have no problems getting it finished for me!!! For those that are curious, I am posting a couple pics....let me know what you think!!!
detail

detail

I don't know if it just the other computer or what, but so far the only computer I see these pictures on is mine. I guess I will just have to load them the other way....here it goes....