hooking up wideband O2

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys I have a question about hooking up a wideband O2 sensor. I want to save some money and not get a gauge. I am going to be using the Moates Quarter Horse with a laptop to monitor it. Can I buy just the O2 sensor and hook that up to the computer? Or do I need some kind of wideband controller? Also do I need to keep the stock narrow band hooked up? Or do I need to just hook up the wideband to the stock wires with a controller?

• Sponsors (?)

You will need to get a complete setup with a controller and most setups will have an output for use with a datalogger.

The gauge is a nice thing to have so you can keep an eyeball check on the AFRs.

The simplest and cheapest setup is the AEM wideband, IIRC they are around 200 bucks now and have 2 output wires. Once of which you can splice into your EGR signal wire and setup Binary editor so that you can datalog AFR using the EGR output wire.

Ive been using an AEM for a few years and have great success with it.
If you have more questions on it send me a PM and i can give you some more info or something on setting it up.

If you plan on keeping a Closed loop in your tune you will keep at least one narrowband. A WB is completely a stand along thing on a stock EEC based car, with a standalone EFI you can use WBs as part of the feedback. But with an EEC it wont actually have anything to do with the tune, you just tune the car to make sure the AFRs correct where your actual AFRs are matching your fuel trims.