Horn Fuse keeps going out...

• Sponsors (?)

Have you disconnected the horns and observed if the fuse stops blowing when the horn is depressed? The horn(s) themselves is the place I would start.

The horn circuit has a button that supplies ground, a relay that uses the button to switch the horns on and off, and two horns. The relay reduces the current that the horn button has to carry. This makes it possible to use a small and simple switch and slip ring on the steering wheel.

attachment.php

The horns typically develop an internal short to ground, which causes the fuses to blow. :eek:

The horns are located under the car on the driver's side, forward of the front wheel well. Disconnect BOTH horns, replace the fuse: if the fuse blows immediately, the problem is most likely in the cigar lighter circuit. If not, then press the horn button on the steering wheel: if the fuse blows the problem is in the wiring between the horn relay and the horn. If doesn't blow when you press the horn button, connect ONE of the horns and try again. If it still doesn't blow the fuse, connect the other horn. Chances are that the first horn you re-connect will blow the fuse. Whatever horn blows the fuse at this point has an internal short and is trash. Time for a trip to the junkyard... :crazy:

Quick question, my horn switch is shot, and none of the auto parts store have a new one. Am I gonna have to find one in a junkyard or can I get one online? Its an 89 so no airbag either, thanks :D

The rubber foam usually deterioates over time and that is what makes the horn switch fail. Take it apart and replace the foam with some from packaging material. A little creative engineering may be required, but you can do it.

The cigar lighter is my problem too, mine worked fine until I got tired of it being loose and tried to tighten it up, I guess I over tightened it and messed something up:shrug:

FIXED!!
it was the cigar outlet. Why would that be an issue? Its brand new. I just disconnected it but still need it. What can I do?

Moses, I had the same problem all the time. Horn stopped working, no cruise control and the problem was in the cigarette outlet. Found a little screw in it that was blowing fuses all the time:nonono:

Check closely for anything grounding somewhere. I couldn't believe it was a stupid little screw causing my problems.

Coins get stuck in the lighter receptacle all the time.

For future reference when posting about an issue, let the people know if the fuse blows immediately after installment or if you have to depress the horn button before it blows. Unless your horn button is shorted, a problem with a horn-short should not be an issue till the horn button is depressed.

The rubber foam usually deterioates over time and that is what makes the horn switch fail. Take it apart and replace the foam with some from packaging material. A little creative engineering may be required, but you can do it.

Hmm I see what you mean with the foam waisting away, how thick should the new foam be, and do I just cut holes in it for all the little bubbles on the plate where they contact?

Hmm I see what you mean with the foam waisting away, how thick should the new foam be, and do I just cut holes in it for all the little bubbles on the plate where they contact?

It's been a looong time since I did it, but I believe that is correct.

Okay I was a little confused when reading this, (two horns, depressing the button, screw being the issue, etc.). I have no horn right now on my 89. I went to replace the fuse and it's fine UNTIL i press the horn and then it blows. What's my first step?

Thanks