Horn Partially on all the Time

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Started my '65 Coupe recently and the horn was on, faintly, all the time. I disconnected the horn units themselves. I have a Grant wheel and adapter and the horn has always been very sensitive, breath on it and it's on. Any thought's what's causing this, bad horn button, weak springs, etc.

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure the wire terminals are not grounding out on the steering wheel nut or the steering wheel, or horn button itself.. If they are, you should be able to tell by popping the horn button off and looking.

By design, it is easy for this type of setup to ground out and sound the horn.

Make sure you disconnect the negative lead on the battery first, as the horn wiring is always hot.

yep, the cheap grant install kits usually have weak springs, and the clearance between the horn button and the steering wheel is rather small. i solved the issue on one grant wheel install by using a heavier spring. you have to be careful though as too heavy a spring will launch the horn button, usually at inopportune times.

Make sure the wire terminals are not grounding out on the steering wheel nut or the steering wheel, or horn button itself.. If they are, you should be able to tell by popping the horn button off and looking.

By design, it is easy for this type of setup to ground out and sound the horn.

Make sure you disconnect the negative lead on the battery first, as the horn wiring is always hot.
Thanks guys, how would I check the for grounding of the horn button.