horrible clutch/driveline noises - wtf?

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
Lately my car has been making weird noises when I shift, especially at high rpms, and cruise at low speeds. Past 3500 rpms, it'll make this loud rubbing sound when I clutch in and out. Also, when I'm moving at a slow speed in gear, like in a parking lot, a different rubbing sound happens, like something's rubbing inside the bellhousing or around there. And lastly, sometimes when the car is cold in the morning, it'll make a squeaking/twanging sound when I clutch in - sounds almost like the pressure plate fingers are twanging or something. I know my TOB is on it's way out, I need to replace it soon. Anything else I should check on specifically?

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

dont know, but i might also check your bearing retainer when doing the TOB. im not sure if you could get an inspection mirror into the fork hole to try and take a looksie at how it looks (motor OFF, of course).

good luck.

It's sorta smooth....only other five-speed Mustang I've ever driven was a stock '98 V6, and I don't think mine is as smooth as that was. Think the bearing retainer is worn out? I know what it is, is it hard to replace? Thought I remembered reading somewhere that it holds some of the guts in the tranny....:shrug:

Ash

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I plan on it pretty soon. My clutch clicks when it's pressed and it's also not a smooth feeling. I rode in my friends stang after he replaced his and it was so much better. I'm told it's not a 4 bolt deal and there is something to do with internals?

I'll try and post some info if I do it soon/remember to. ;)

fred

the deal with the retainer is that you dont want to tip the trans while doing it. you will dump needle bearings if you do it wrong, and then you might as well start from scratch.

the only other issue is input shaft endplay. some get away with reusing the stock shim(s) (if any). one can get a shim kit to be sure it is done perfect.

good luck to all.

Hmm...I don't know if I want to do that myself, then. It's my only car, downtime should be minimized. Looks like I'm gonna have to call around a little. I'll update as I find stuff out. :)

Ash