Horrible Engine Noise

dogteam7

Founding Member
May 16, 1999
Stockbridge, GA, US
I have a 2002 GT with about 48,000 miles on it. I don't beat it and the only mod are Flowmaster 40 series. I change the oil regularly and it doesn't use oil between changes.

Well yesterday, the engine made a terrible clunking noise when started that lasted about 30 seconds. Sounded like a rod knocking. When i first heard it I shut the engine down and checked oil etc. When I started it up again it did the same thing but after about 30 seconds of idling the noise slowly faded away. The oil pressure was good(as per factory gauge)

This happened twice now after the car has sat for 2 days or so. It doesn't do it everytime it sits for a couple day.

Anybody else have this happen? What is it? Is my engine going to die? :bang: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Check your oil filter. It sounds like the anti drain back valve is no good or the filter doesn't have one. Always use a Motorcraft filter on your Mustang. You can't go wrong with that.

What happens is the oil in the filter drains back into the pan and, when you start up, it takes a few seconds to fill it back up. You get a "dry" start up and the engine can knock.

Well I checked the oil and it was a little off the full mark but no where near low. The car is due for an oild change so when I do that this weekend, I'll make sure I put Motorcraft filter back on the car. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed. My old 5.0 never did this!

Well I changed the oil and put on a Motorcraft filter so I hope this solves the problem. I find it hard to believe but a filter and fresh oil are cheap enough to at least give it a shot. I still have to question if this is an early warning sign of a failing oil pump.

dogteam7 said:
I still have to question if this is an early warning sign of a failing oil pump.

I don't think so. The oil pump is a gear pump. Typically they either work, or puke their guts.

Rod knock doesn't usually quiet down, so that doesn't sound like the issue. I do agree that this is a 100% warranty issue.

dogteam7 said:
I have a 2002 GT with about 48,000 miles on it. I don't beat it and the only mod are Flowmaster 40 series. I change the oil regularly and it doesn't use oil between changes.

Well yesterday, the engine made a terrible clunking noise when started that lasted about 30 seconds. Sounded like a rod knocking. When i first heard it I shut the engine down and checked oil etc. When I started it up again it did the same thing but after about 30 seconds of idling the noise slowly faded away. The oil pressure was good(as per factory gauge)

This happened twice now after the car has sat for 2 days or so. It doesn't do it everytime it sits for a couple day.

Anybody else have this happen? What is it? Is my engine going to die? :bang: :shrug:

Dude, Yea the same thing happened to my '99 GT last weekend after it sat for 2 days (I typically drive it every day). It sounded so bad I shut if off right away and when I started it again, it sounded fine. It sounded like spark knock or something, kind of a dieseling sound, I guess. I just figured it was due to the car getting old. The car has 136K miles on it. This was the first time this has ever happened. I've always used Mobil 1 oil and filters and haven't had a problem.

Well, doing a search and i found this. Anybdoy have any idea what a clunk at starting and also pressing on the throttle could be from? My sister's stuck with the car right now in MI on the way back from IL. The only mods the engine has are Underdrive Pulleys, Spacer, Steeda Springs, and CC Plates.

She started it while I was on the phone and it was quite loud (key starts, CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK, and quiet until the gas is pressed). Any suggestions? Or mod-friendly dealers in/around Portage MI (49002)?
Gagan

36000 mi huh The dealer I bought my car from held me at gun piont until I got the extended million mile POS Warranty thats prob void when it rains or the humidity gets high enough.