Horrible Sound After Installing New Power Steering Pump

Just pull the belt off and spin everything slowly, by hand.

Ok, did this, everything seems fine, no noise. The PS pump is a little harder to turn compared to the AC compressor. Is that normal? I can't turn the pulley fast enough to produce a noise.

hmmm' maybe onto sumtin there. Running a V6 tensioner ona v8?

It was the idler pulley that was off the v6, and it spins freely. I think the tensioner and bracket are off a v8, but not 100% sure. It's been its been 7 years. It's hard for me to remember what's original and what's not.

• Sponsors (?)

Get out the old 'mechanic's stethoscope' / a piece of heater hose stuck up to your ear and listen around. Obviously make sure it doesn't get sucked into moving parts but it'll help you pinpoint the source of the chirp. I guarantee it. It could be any of your accessories, the water pump, or the idler / tensioner. Just because the pump was the last thing replaced doesn't mean that's it for sure (even if it is 75% certain) - it could just as well be the A/C clutch, a water pump going south, the alternator going bad, or an air pump locking up.

I agree it doesn't sound much like belt, pump, or even bearing noise. If you think the pulley's too close to the bolts, and the noise is definitely coming from the pump (see above), use the same tool you used to remove it in the first place and pull it off a bit (don't run it that way for too long because it'll chew up the belt, but just a bit to see if it stops).

Reactions: 1 user
HFT has real mechanic stethoscopes for cheap, and you need one ASAP! It could easily be the alternator's bearings.

What parts exactly are you spraying with WD40? If it gets on the face of the pulley where the belt goes, it will cause a slipping belt. That may quiet a chirping, slipping belt for a while, but should reduce cooling, charging and belt life. All the pulleys will need cleaned with a thinner and a new belt installed. If you sprayed it ONLY on the center shaft where the bearing is, it should not have helped. The bearing is sealed.

Get out the old 'mechanic's stethoscope' / a piece of heater hose stuck up to your ear and listen around.

HFT has real mechanic stethoscopes for cheap, and you need one ASAP! It could easily be the alternator's bearings.

Could not get the "mechanic stethoscope" hose to work. But we replaced the PS pump with another new one, a really ugly model, as they've discontinued the black one. At least that company anyway.

The noise did not go away. It's somehow the PS pulley itself, which was the original V6 pulley. The V8 pulley is the same part number, but I guess there's its supposed to come with spacers, which may explain why I have that clearance issue.

What parts exactly are you spraying with WD40? If it gets on the face of the pulley where the belt goes, it will cause a slipping belt. That may quiet a chirping, slipping belt for a while, but should reduce cooling, charging and belt life. All the pulleys will need cleaned with a thinner and a new belt installed. If you sprayed it ONLY on the center shaft where the bearing is, it should not have helped. The bearing is sealed.

I was spraying the center of the pulley, where it attaches to the pump. I have this huge fear of a belt slipping off and striking me, so there's no way I'd get lubricant near a belt. It went away originally, but I guess when the new PS pump (which I probably didn't even need to begin with) was installed, the old pulley must've gotten worse when it was removed and reinstalled.