Hot starting issues

uk01gt said:
BTW, what is it with the ticking sound. I only hear it under hard acceleration with the windows up. Windows down, I guess the wind noise kills it. :shrug:

I think it is a valvetrain tick that is found in some GT's in the passenger side head. It is quite loud on a cold-start in the morning, but the rest of the day I hear nothing. I even brought in a TSB for it that covered another year and they said they could not hear it after 5 or more cold-start attempts. Whatever.

• Sponsors (?)

toss one more to the list... when i was at ford they told me that this was normal because of the new technology and that "cars dont just start right up on one turn anymore like they used to" ... which seamed kinda odd to me because wouldnt they turn over quicker on newer cars....?

i found out what the stating problem is the newer stangs don't have a fuel return system on it which is what causing the problem so all we can do now is to wait and hope ford has a recall for this

The evap purge valve is supposed to relieve the pressure built up since there is no return. fuel buildup should not be the issue. I have posted this same question before and not many feasible answers were given. If I stop after driving for a minute and get back in a few minutes later and start it, it will hunt for an idle and sometimes it needs my help to tap the throttle and hold until the idle steadies, mine is a 99 though :shrug:

I have an '03 auto, and my car has recently started having this problem with 37,000 miles on it. It's been having a hard time starting the first time around for the last month or so. On the second try, it always starts.

I have not tried turning the key and letting the fuel pump prime. That might fix it up for me, so I'll try that. I do know however that I didn't have this problem before. It does seem like something is wearing out, or something of that nature.

It really acts like it is starved for fuel when it first starts. I don't know if this makes any sense or not, but if I have a full to 3/4 full tank of gas, the car usually doesn't have this problem. Below that though, it does seem to have a little harder time starting.

Also, when I pulled out of my driveway on a low tank of gas the other day, my car started accelerating through first, and when it hit second it practically died in a clunking, sick sort of way. Before it completely died, I gave it more gas and it sprang to life. It's done this twice to me, but I have had no issues with that anymore.

A friend of mine suggested maybe having water in my gas tank. I have bought some Heet to put in there and see if that takes care of it, but I haven't put it in yet.

I'll try the Heet and letting my fuel pump prime and see if that helps.

The quirks these stangs have, huh? :)

ive had problems with mine too, dealer reprogrammed the computer and it still does it, no fix it seems like, my rpm's drop when i turn on the ac, sounds like it might die, then it just goes back to normal, so many unknown problems, its starting to get rediculous

Add another '03 to the list. Mine does this same exact thing. I started doing the trick of turning on the ignition for a few seconds before cranking it a few months ago, and it seems to have helped some but it still does it occassionally.

Approximately how long have you all had your cars, or how many miles have you put on them when the issue started?

For me it's been around the 35000-37000 mark, I would say. I've had the car slightly over 1 year.

Every now and then My 96 will do this ( jsut age I think) and to help with the problem when I get in the car I wil turn the key to the on position and then back off and then on a time or two so that fuel pressure is built up ( you will hear the fuel pump kick on each time you do it) and it starts right up...not sure if it will help on the newer cars but works for me :nice:

Fuel pump upgrade?

9646gt said:
Every now and then My 96 will do this ( jsut age I think) and to help with the problem when I get in the car I wil turn the key to the on position and then back off and then on a time or two so that fuel pressure is built up ( you will hear the fuel pump kick on each time you do it) and it starts right up...not sure if it will help on the newer cars but works for me :nice:

Wow. It has to be a fuel pressure/fuel pump issue. At least that makes the most sense.

Is there a better aftermarket fuel pump for our cars? Or are we stuck with the crappy ones forever? :(

My car starts okay in the mornings, but hot starts don't startup so well. It's like it is starved for gas or something. Second try almost always gets it.

My 04 with 4,000 miles does it and its done it since around 2,000 miles.
I haven't even bothered taking it in cause it doesn't always do it. Has anyone had any luck getting this taken care of?
It doesn't really bother me, but its kind of embarrassing when the car struggles to start after I get gas etc.

I noticed it a lot more now that i am supercharged. But I have an Focus SVT pump and 42lb injectors, so i cant see fuel pressure being the problem. Someone did tell me that it was because 42lb injectors are known to leak. But that doesnt speak for stock injectors.