HOT weather A/C and high miles

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
Just wondering you guys opinions on something. I have 152K on my stock engine and trans. It gets to the triple digits here with high humidity. At the moment my A/C is all deleted and I don't drive the car when it is extremely hot out. I was considereing one of the A/C kits from 5.0 resto though. Do you think the extra cooling load put on the engine due to A/C is rough on it? I will probably keep it deleted and roll the windows down, but just wanted opinions.

• Sponsors (?)

With a good radiator and electric fan, you should not have any problems. You'll need a 130 amp 3G or better alternator to keep up with the electrical load from the electric fan and blower fan.

I agree with Joe.

I also feel ya about not wanting to increase operating temps because of the extra heat rejection requirements. In considering coolant temps with regard to engine wear, ~ 190-210*F is pretty optimal. I would really not worry about it if your car (as is) runs at ~ 190* in your hottest ambient temps.

You'll probably want a decent sized trans cooler (if you dont already have one), so consider the extra heat rejection required for that as well.

Good luck with it James.