House smells like Mustang

I got my 1965 coupe about 6 months ago. It has been in the family since the original purchase and has been garage kept for the past 25 years. It is in good shape with just minor rust on the fenders wells.

I don't have too much money to work on it now, so I only drive it about twice a month to keep it running. After a drive when ever I put the car back in the garage the entire house will smell like exhaust for the whole next day. I try to only keep it running for the time needed to pull it in the garage, and the tail pipe is only in the garage for a few seconds, yet the house smells like mustang.

Could I maybe have an exhaust leak? Because I just don’t see how with the few seconds that the tail pipe is in the garage, for the whole house to smell. :shrug:

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

OrlandoStang said:
I got my 1965 coupe about 6 months ago. It has been in the family since the original purchase and has been garage kept for the past 25 years. It is in good shape with just minor rust on the fenders wells.

I don't have too much money to work on it now, so I only drive it about twice a month to keep it running. After a drive when ever I put the car back in the garage the entire house will smell like exhaust for the whole next day. I try to only keep it running for the time needed to pull it in the garage, and the tail pipe is only in the garage for a few seconds, yet the house smells like mustang.

Could I maybe have an exhaust leak? Because I just don’t see how with the few seconds that the tail pipe is in the garage, for the whole house to smell. :shrug:

Thanks
:D Just be thankful it doesn't smell like the north end of a south facing LIVE Mustang:rlaugh: :SNSign:

danny clemens said:
Check for a stuck choke and maybe buy a rebuild kit for the carb.

Forgive me, but I honestly know nothing about carbs. Is the choke the part that looks like a throttle body plate? If it is, then mine seems to be stuck open. My "plate" never closes.

Does anyone have any good links for basic carb info? I looked at howstuffworks and wikipedia, but all that info is meaningless to me with out labeled pics or drawing.

Thanks guys.

The choke is the pivoting part in the hole at the top of the carb. If it is completely open then that wouldn't be your problem. If it is closed or mostly closed that would cause your engine to run rich.

Old cars without catalytic convertors have this problem even when not running overly rich. Still, do your best to get it tuned up and keep it that way.

Here's some real world experience. My mustang just passed emmissions testing with flying colours a few weeks ago and I can't even back my car in the driveway, let alone garage the thing, without the fumes finding an open window or the mail-slot and stinking the house up. I have to nose it in all the time. This is a perfect running car.

My 67 gets seven MPG around town. When I park it in the garage and close the garage door, I have close the interior door for the downstairs bathroom that I walk through from the garage and leave the exhaust fan running for awhile until the gas fumes no longer around. Not that I'm complaining though. :D

I also had this problem with my car when restoring it and moving it around.

As Ive put more miles on it alot of the carbon and crapp in the mufflers

has cleared out and it doesn't smell as bad. One thing I do, as soon it

fires Im backing the car out of the garage. This Helps with the smell.

Once Im back pull in and shut down quick.