House Update with Pics

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
I know, I know this isn't 5.0 talk at all, but there was a little interest with the last house thread I posted, and we all love photos... We did some crown moulding this weekend, and should have the main floor close to done shortly. Bank account will be tapped out after the wainscoting is done in the dining room, but come spring we get our new homebuyer tax credit and then the kitchen gets done. Also don't mind the green couch, it's temporary!

Formal Living Room:
View attachment 238493
View attachment 238494
View attachment 238495

Dining Room:
View attachment 238496
View attachment 238497

Hall:
View attachment 238498
View attachment 238499
View attachment 238500

Enjoy and comments are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

Couldn't agree more. I have always been a fan of crown moulding. My idea originally was to something a little fancier, but then I decided to keep it simple. Even with the dining room we kept it standard moulding just 4.25 vs the 3.5 in the rest. I have enough 3.5 stuff to do the bathrooms and some of the second floor, so I should be going on that shortly.

It's a cheap way to add value to a house, in my opinion!

It's a cheap way to add value to a house, in my opinion!

Couldnt agree more, In springfield i looked at a good 10-15 houses and myne is the only one that had moldings on the sealing period, in the 130-170k price range houses its pretty rare that people pay attention to that type of detail, and it really separates the house from the average in that price range

Looks AWESOME Brian! Did u use a coping saw on the ends or did you just cut it at a 45 with a miter? I am looking to do some crown molding in the living and family rooms cause it adds the class factor. I just replaced my kitchen light with 4 recessed lights - i feel that adds some class too :)

The crown does add value, and I agree when we were looking only a few houses had it, and our price range was close to double. Amazing how even at that range houses still never got updated. I'm trying to be smart with the upgrades, as the house is already the highest assessed on the street, and going crazy will do nothing but hurt in the long run.

Justin, sadly I didn't do this work. I started to, and had issues with the saw. I ended up paying a friend to do it, and got some good tips and tricks on doing the bathrooms next. He coped the ends, and thats what I had planned to do all along. Not sure which way is better, but in the end it really only matters about the final look.

Couple quick outside shots...
View attachment 238481
View attachment 238482
View attachment 238483

Wouldn't call it a mansion, we just wanted a 2000+ SF colonial with a 2 car garage.

No kids, 24 years old with no other bills minus the standard stuff... GF is similar, 23 with no real bills other than the usual. Figured we would buy low, hang on to it, and if the economy ever gets high again for houses, maybe sell and build! :D

Just to compare houseing costs,if you dont mind whats the SQFT and price you guy's paid? If you dont wanna post on here PM me.My girlfriend just bought a 1700SQFT house 3-4 bedroom or 3 bedroom and a large office 2 car garage :D 2 full bath for $180,000. peace

john:p