House Update with Pics

• Sponsors (?)

I thought a soffet was the material between the edge of the roof and the exterior wall of the house. We used to put proper vents in the soffits of new houses when i was an insulatior.

Also, i think the reason the recesed lighting(cans) are done the way they are is because they are the older style lights that get really hot and will burn if anything is around them. When i insulated those lights were always a pain in tha ass cause contractors would skimp out and buy the cheap ones, and if we put material near them it was a fire hazard, but because they didnt get done people would complain about cold coming from them. We would always get blamed for not insulating them properly when it was really the contrator that goofed and didnt but them with the saftey shutoff.

Thanks Dave, and I was damn close to going this year, but had a LOT going on. Should be set next year :D... you too, Happy T-giving.

That is a soffit as well... if there is a wall infill above cabinets they call that a soffit too...

It does make sense about the lights though, these get very very hot below them. would make sense that everywhere I have these lights (4 bathrooms and the kitchen) they are located in a large soffit.

It does make sense about the lights though, these get very very hot below them. would make sense that everywhere I have these lights (4 bathrooms and the kitchen) they are located in a large soffit.

Recessed lighting is a real PIA, its even worse when they are in the slopes of cathedral cielings, i think the rule is that you cant have any insulation within 6 inches of them, which is rediculous. Could you imagine one of these houses with tons of lighting in vaulted ceiling, how much heat loss there would be... It was always nic when they would put a light that had 1 inch clearance and expect us to get insulation and a proper vent behind it. It was always a catch 22 with that, cause if the vent was there, they didnt get insulation, and if the insulation was there, they didnt get a vent.

Its a question of whether you wanna loose heat or have a roof that wears prematurely