Forced Induction How About A Vortech V3-si Trim On A 94 Cobra?

Yeah, its just like an .035" nozzle in the blower that mists the gears, then it just gravity drains to the pan.. It's a pretty low volume of oil that actually flows thru it.

On STS turbo cars, they have to add oil pumps to pump the oil out of the turbos because they are mounted too low to drain naturally

• Sponsors (?)

The V3i is a SUPER efficient blower, and can make considerbly more than my V1 S trim.. If for some CRAZY reason you don't like it, you will have no problems selling it. The main complaint from everyone used to be the fact that you have to tap the pan, which is no longer an issue.. It's an awesome blower.. I want one.. My s trim is tired

Sounds like I can sell it to YOU if I don't like it. Actually, I don't think I will like it at all; I KNOW I will LOVE it. Before I bought the Cobra, I had a Saab 92x Aero, AKA, Subaru WRX. That car had amazing acceleration out of the hole, especially when getting the revs up, spooling the turbo, and letting her fly - it felt like a damn sling shot. BUT, nothing beats the sound and feel of a V8 engine and I cannot wait to see how it performs under boost. Looks like I will be ordering a Vortech V3 Si on Monday; you guys have twisted my arm and talked me into it. So, do I need a boost controller? Oh yeah, gonna need to upgrade those stock 3.08 gears, too.

Sounds like I can sell it to YOU if I don't like it. Actually, I don't think I will like it at all; I KNOW I will LOVE it. Before I bought the Cobra, I had a Saab 92x Aero, AKA, Subaru WRX. That car had amazing acceleration out of the hole, especially when getting the revs up, spooling the turbo, and letting her fly - it felt like a damn sling shot. BUT, nothing beats the sound and feel of a V8 engine and I cannot wait to see how it performs under boost. Looks like I will be ordering a Vortech V3 Si on Monday; you guys have twisted my arm and talked me into it. So, do I need a boost controller? Oh yeah, gonna need to upgrade those stock 3.08 gears, too.

You will definitely want 3.73's, 3.90's (my personal favorite) or 4.10's to truly appreciate the blower.. The midrange torque is impressive.. I can easily blow the tires off at 3000 rpm in 1st and 2nd. Blowers don't use boost controllers or blow off valves, you just swap pulleys. You'll probably want a 3.33" pulley to start out with.

Ok, that makes perfect sense. I guess I was kind of retarded for thinking that blower would be a pressurized case. If you had an aftermarket oil pan, you could just put the drain where the stock dipstick hole is. I had to npt tap my block to put a plug in mine.

Kurt

Many aftermarket oil pans come with a tapped and capped oil return provision already built in.

With your huge intake and exhaust ports the V3i will be useless. When will yours be together?

good point, If I do anything I think it will be nitrous but thats down the road a little further. Hopefully it will be running soon. Got rear end back in and the headers test fitted today so all I need now is to get them coated, get all the fluilds, and cats and a cat back and I'll be good to go. I'm hoping late april or early May, depends on how the funds are between now and then. With no more overtime at work things have been progressing a bit more slowly.

You will definitely want 3.73's, 3.90's (my personal favorite) or 4.10's to truly appreciate the blower.. The midrange torque is impressive.. I can easily blow the tires off at 3000 rpm in 1st and 2nd. Blowers don't use boost controllers or blow off valves, you just swap pulleys. You'll probably want a 3.33" pulley to start out with.

I think I will be going with the 3.73's. I have been told by a couple people to get an MSD boost retard management system; if I don't need it I definitely don't want to have to spend the $$$ for it. Thanks for the info. Have you guys seen my cheesy introduction in "The Welcome Wagon" section? Check out my pictures and let me know what you think of my Cobra.

They are recommending the MSD6BTM. It's the same ignition box as the MSD6AL but the BTM has a dial that mounts inside the car which allows you to moving the timing up or down. It saved me a few times. I took my car to the 1/4 mile track and at the 1000 foot mark it detonated. I took out some timing with the dial. On the second run it did it again, dialed it down a little more. Without having the BTM I would have been a spectator since I didn't have a timing light or tools. I ran like 12.68 at 117MPH having to lift at 1000 feet.

Here is a pic of the BTM red dial. It's located next to the ignition. The box was mounted over the brake booster on the plastic firewall.

joe_inside_1.jpg

Mine is mounted in the former cigarette lighter hole. I would save the money from the BTM and just get a chip burned or buy a moates quarterhorse.. The BTM is the old school way of pulling timing that they used on the older vortech kits before tuning was as easy as it is now. I honestly don't feel the BTM is very accurate and I will be getting rid of mine and just going to a regular msd box sometime soon..

PIC
backseat.jpg

Well, I pulled the trigger on a V3 Si tuner kit today and should have it in about 7 to 10 days; it is being shipped from Vortech to the retailer and then from them to me, or else it would be here sooner. I have lots of work to do on the car: install long tube headers and h-pipe, fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF, and of course the Vortech. How hard would it be to try and tune it myself with a Moates Quarterhorse?

turbogt, what year is that car in the picture above? Looking at the yellow gauge needles, I would say 94-95, but those seats are newer Cobra and that center console is newer Cobra... methinks something is amiss. I would like to get rid of my Mach460 cassette player (who has/uses those anymore?) and the cd unit, but I heard that aftermarket head units aren't compatible with the Mach460 amplifiers so you have to pretty much rip everything out and rewire it all - sounds like a real pain in the arse.

So, I got rid of the Walbro 255 and upgraded to a Walbro 284 Focus SVT pump.

Just to be clear, I can just swap out to an aftermarket head unit and retain my Mach460 amplifiers, Hef5.0weisen? I would really like to do a DVD/CD/Navigation system.

I also swapped out mine... works fine... Crutchfield adapter, occasionally I turn mine on and it pops then off and on and it works fine..