Forced Induction How About A Vortech V3-si Trim On A 94 Cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

Running 12-13 lbs for a while. Not a completely stock engine as I have trick flow heads and Ed Curtis cam.

I have the old school s trim though so power levels aren't really fair for the boost I have. That being said on a well known conservative mustang dyno it was 420/410 so on a dyno jet which is more common and less accurate figure around 450. The bigger indicator is trap speeds which are mid 120's.

Hope this helps. Have fun! :nice:

I found the pdf at Vortech's website. How long did it take you to install? What size injectors/fuel pump were you using? Anything else I am missing?

Yes, the PDF is just a copy of the instruction book. It took me a couple days to install because I bought my kit used and incomplete so I had to chase down certain parts. You're buying a tuner kit which will mean you have to add some things in yourself.

KB's would be king IF they'd have designed a manifold system that would allow a front mount intercooler to be used. Some people have fabbed up such a manifold and it works great! The KB gets much hotter than centrif. blowers and stays hot from being mounted right on top of the motor. From all the threads I've seen over the years, it seems the KB makes for a funner street car and the centri's make better track cars.

Nothing to report yet. The supercharger won't arrive until late next week or early the following week. I am putting long tube headers/H-pipe and fuel pump on the car next Thursday and will complete the blower installation as soon as it gets here. I was talking to a local tuner and he said that on my stock engine I should see right around 400 hp at the wheels at 10 psi, which is plenty for me to get into trouble with :nice:.

It took a few hours, used 30lb injectors with supplied FMU by Vortech. You'll need a larger fuel pump (255 minimum). Other than that get some buddy's to help. You don't have to tap the oil pan (its self contained) so that saves time. The install isn't so bad really.
I started by myself at about 10am using hand tools while Joe was at work. By the time he got home at 4pm or so, everything was done except tightening the belt. As he mentioned, the instructions were spot on. With the second set of hands to hold things while tightening, it probably would have been completely done in 3 hours. Not having to tap the pan for the v3 kit is great. I say go for it too.

I got the long tubes and h-pipe on today. Wasn't too bad of an install and I definitely learned a lot. It is throwing a 332 code for the EGR even though I hooked it all back up. I will probably end up deleting it; definitely would have gotten done much sooner if I would not have had to mess with hooking it all back up. The only problem I have is with the flange where the h-pipe joins the axleback is hitting on the bottom of the car, so I am going to have to loosen that up and see if I can get it to come down a quarter inch or so. . Other than that it sounds awesome but it is still very tame when cruising as I am still running the stock axleback. Performance-wise I definitely notice a difference. It easily chirps the tires going into 2nd and it did it going into 3rd as well without too much effort and this is still on the stock 3.08 rear. I am hoping the supercharger will be here tomorrow but it may not be delivered til Monday. I am planning on doing the fuel pump tomorrow either way.

I'd set the timing back down to 10° and let the advance come from a tune. Unless you're tuning it yourself, any tuner is going to be tuning based on the assumption that you're at 10° base timing anyway.

The V3 was delivered today. I felt like a little kid opening it up and checking it all out. I planned on installing it immediately, but the tuner is 3 weeks out, which means I have until May 3rd to get it installed. I will probably get the prep work done this weekend, but I will wait on the full install so I can drive it in the meantime - a Cobra sitting in the garage is no fun.

So, I found a used Kenne Bell for a 94-95. It is a 2.1, too...

You can install the blower and just leave the belt off and drive it N/A. Don't wait till the last minute to install it because things can and WILL come up that will cause you to miss your appointment! Start early, take your time and work out all the kinks as they arise.