Forced Induction How About A Vortech V3-si Trim On A 94 Cobra?

Here is my source, Don Lasota: http://www.lasotaracing.com/techKB.html

He goes on to say on this page that KB's see 230* and above ACT temps when using more than 10#'s of boost. My S trim at 15.5 psi was putting out a hair over 200* and this was after 5 consecutive pulls on the dyno.

I'm just trying to make the OP feel like he made a worth while purchase and don't want him to be thinking that maybe he should have gone with a KB. KB's are awesome superchargers when you can intercool them. There's a guy on Corral that made a sweet looking A2A setup for his KB and his dyno sheet is sick! Dude's making like 600 ft lbs of torque by 2500 rpm! I'll bet that's one of the craziest rides you could take in a street car. If this guy could make a manifold setup like he has there for a 94/95 and sell me one I'd probably switch to a KB myself.

But comparing the 2 different blowers non-incooled the Vortech simply runs cooler.

edit: here's his dyno sheet:

No... I don't think the OP made a bad choice. Not at all. I liked my V1S for sure. No doubt, there's been a lot of KB users that have excessive discharge temps. I've been part of some of those discussion/trouble shooting sessions. A lot of times, the source of those temps wasn't the blower itself. It cam down to 1 or more 3 things.... Blower to small for application (overspin), inlet restrictions, or poor tuning/combo slection (back pressure has a hand in this too).

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have an air to air cooler for my Kenne Bell. Hell, I'd even take an air to water! One of the reasons that I bought the kit that I bought was because Bob Kennedy had the intention of producing a street intercooler kit. The only part that I really wanted to address was what I percieve to be a gross generalization of screw type blowers making excessive heat. I have found the reverse to be true in a repeated number of circumstances. I attribute a lot of that to the size of the cases and RPM that each uses to produce boost. Now the exhaust end of the screws do get pretty warm. Still.... that heat is dissipated over the length of the screws and so long as air continues to move, that portion is mitigated. It's when you shut it all down that you can really see that difference.

To the OP:

Like anything else with modding, it's all about your supporting pieces and parts. Any boosted can be done wrong and each has a different requirement to run well. I've been working on my setup and making changes for years and there's STILL more left to do. Installation of the kit is only the beginning. It doesn't matter if you run turbos, or a centri, or a screw blower... The tweaks you make to support the kit are what the difference between a kit that makes eyes go wide when they ride in it and the, "Meh" response you get from so many others.

Please resume your normally scheduled.... er.... schedule. :O_o:

• Sponsors (?)

The A2A Intercooler that guy made was awesome. That car made like 685 Ft. Lbs of torque but that's with a Ford Strokers 363 Dart Block. Hell I would love a KB but like mentioned they do need an intercooler in my opinion.

To the OP, you'll love the Vortech. My V-1 that I've posted pics has a sound that would bring a smile from ear to ear like a kid when I heard it. I had a Buick Grand National making 21 psi on a small Garrett TE44 Turbo that had the coolest blow off sound ever at that psi. Still no comparison in my book than the Vortech at idle buzzing. You'll see.

Holy thread hijack, Batman!!! Haha good times. Anyway, I started the install on Friday and worked on it for a few hours today. At this point, I have to cut the 4.5" hole in the fender for the Anderson Powerpipe, install the injectors, spark plugs, and finish removing the oil cooler. I won't have too much time in the next couple of days to work on it, but I am anticipating getting it finished up on Thursday. Pictures to come in the next couple days...

It's alive! Vortech V3 Si installation is complete and the car runs and drives. Here is my full setup: V3 Si, Anderson powerpipe, 80mm C&L MAF, BBK 75mm TB, 42lb FRPP injectors, Focus SVT fuel pump, BBK long tubes and H-pipe. I am considering picking up a ported lower intake and installing that before my May 3rd dyno tune. I found a GT40 lower for a pretty good price off a 93 - does anyone know if the 93 is the same as the 94-95's? I am assuming it is but want to know for sure before I buy it. As far as pictures, I will post them as soon as my phone turns up...

It's alive! Vortech V3 Si installation is complete and the car runs and drives. Here is my full setup: V3 Si, Anderson powerpipe, 80mm C&L MAF, BBK 75mm TB, 42lb FRPP injectors, Focus SVT fuel pump, BBK long tubes and H-pipe. I am considering picking up a ported lower intake and installing that before my May 3rd dyno tune. I found a GT40 lower for a pretty good price off a 93 - does anyone know if the 93 is the same as the 94-95's? I am assuming it is but want to know for sure before I buy it. As far as pictures, I will post them as soon as my phone turns up...

The lower is very similiar. The only difference is that the foxbody has the inlet air temperature sender in the number 5 runner on the lower, whereas the inlet air temperature sender is on the intake tube prior to the throttle body on the SN. If you get a GT-40 lower, you will have to plug that hole on the number one runner. It's a metric thread that I can't think of off the top of my head, so it isn't easy to find. You either get the metric plug, or stick a spare inlet air temperature sender in there to block the hole.

Kurt

There won't be enough of a benefit to swapping out my lower intake to justify doing it, so I am going to put that off until further down the road when I upgrade the heads. At that time, I will do the Fox TB swap so I can use the metal Vortech discharge tube instead of the black plastic one that is on there now.

Here are some pictures:

photo (21).JPG

I had to extend the ACT wires about 18" to reach the relocated ACT.
photo (26).JPG

If I would have installed the Vortech inlet system, the ACT would have been located between the air filter and MAF. In this case, I installed it in the discharge tube.
photo (27).JPG

photo (25).JPG

photo (24).JPG

photo (22).JPG

Heheheh. I'm waiting to see what kind of numbers you put up first! I went to Paul's Automotive and talked to Mike Wilson, who is a great guy by the way. We talked about supercharger...the same system you have, versus Trickflow heads and cam. He said that either way should put down close to 330 at the wheels. Ultimately, I'd like to go a bit over 400, so it may take a few years, but I may do both. Just need to figure out which one to do first. So, 10 more days till I can see your numbers?