How about this for a new engine

• Sponsors (?)

I didnt see anywhere in that ad where it says what heads were used on this motor. So i would assume that it has stock heads. The intake that comes with that motor is designed for use with a carborator, not efi. There are many alternatives that can do the same thing cheaper.

What is your plan with this car? We will be able to help you better if we know what you have in mind.

well Id like to get the most out of it I can. Im just now really getting into the mechanical aspects of cars. Id love to build it up myself, but just dont have the know how and, or tools needed. Id like to have more power of course(cliche) but sure you all understand. Id like it to be faster. I will be using as a daily driver for a while. And 1 day would like to pass it to my son. As of right now I dont know if I will be needing a rebuild just yet. In process of doing compression test, but weather aint workin with me. Since I dont know how and really dont have people around me to teach me and help with the project I figured it would be easier to have a shop just rebuild mine, which is a waste of money, or buy a complete engine with a lil more power. My budget will only be about 2-3k. And most of that would go to a shop either if I had them do whole job, which is most likely, or having them machine everything. So best for me to get a whole engine and have someone help me drop it in, or get a shop to drop it in. As i stated above and many times before Im new to parts and knowledge of what everything is. most of the time I have to do the research instead of driving yall crazy and askin what, what is and what it does. I dont know what will fit in my car, or what will hook up to my car etc. I dunno whats the max I can do to my car etc. Everything really. Im very green, but have always loved stangs. I aint even had this car a yr and now this crap is happening it sucks. I love this car and what it to be a true "Amercian Muscle" car. I know it wont be the best, but I know I can make it a lot stronger with 3k and or be in better shape with something like the engine above. Im pushing almost 180k miles. After I get engine right/replaced, or whatever I got to do I want to start on suspension and so on

you can get a better motor elsewhere.

your budget is 3k. have the bottom end rebuilt and bore out .030 over to give yourself a 306 with some decent pistons. 3k isn't that much to play with if you have to have a shop do the work.

ok if your motor is blown there is no way you will reach your goal of having more power if you are paying someone to do the work. Your best bet will be buying a motor and having a friend help you with the install. For example if you were to buy a stock shortblock from LMR such as this one 1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping! for $700 then buy a top end kit like this one 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L Top End Engine Kit With Silver Trick Flow Street Heat Intake, Twisted Wedge Heads And Trick Flow Stage 1 Camshaft at LRS - Same Day Shipping! for $2500, then have a capable friend help you install all of these parts. Order a mail order tune from someone such as dirtydirtyracing and you will have somewhere around 300rwhp which is more than that ebay crate engine will do for you.

Is there a sticky on Installing valves and adjusting rockers? Its really pretty easy. I taught myself googling info on the net.

For that 3k Mark i would look into getting a turbo kit. I hear good stuff about On3 Performance. Kits start at $1500 but the "suggested extras" (which i highly recommend getting) will put you in that 3k ballpark.

Chris

Just scares me to have to do the cam, valves, pistons, etc Im sure is really precise work

lol, thats where the capable friend comes in handy! BTW the heads come assembled (valves, springs, retainers), and the pistons come installed in the shortblock, you will only have to change the cam, which isn't too dificult.

Before you make any decisions and purchases, find a knowledgable friend to talk this over with. Make sure you have someone who can help you out before you spend a lot of money and flush it down the toilet. Even if you go out and buy a long block (like the Ford Racing suggestion from Summit in a previous post), you are still going to need some help to put it all together. You readily admit to being very green, and cutting your teeth on installing a crate motor will probably lead to heartache!

3000 dollars to spend will not go very far if you have someone else do the work, but unless you have someone you can trust help you out, I would not suggest you try this on your own yet.

And I would pass on the Phoenix motor.

Maybe your best route is to find a different car. There are lots of decent 5.0's out there for 3K. Find one that is sound mechanically (have a mechanic check it out) and sell your car to buy some good bolt-ons.

Yea I have someone to help. I just called Summit about the 306 and they said it would have to have a different water pump and timing cover for it to fit. Didnt think to ask if they could do it.. You think they would? And I forgot to ask about the oil pan too. Its labeled as dual sump "that fits most FOX BODY" cars I have a 94

For $3K, just go down to Advance and get a stock long block rebuilt. You can't build a 328hp small block properly for $3K. I mean, come on, the H/C/I for that kind of power is $2200+, which means they spent $800 on the rest of the engine. I don't know any professional machinest who will do the labor on a short block for $800, much less put any new parts in it. Either it doesn't make the power it says it does, or it was done improperly. If it sounds too good to be true, it almost always is.

Kurt

And I thought about selling this and getting another 1 or rebuilding but think a new engine would be better in long run... Why u say heart ache comes wth crates

I am saying if you spend all this money on a new motor but don't know what you are doing finishing putting it together and installing it, you may ruin it, which will suck BAD! Like I said, you admit to not knowing very much about what you are doing or about engines.

You said you have someone to help out, so as long as they know what they are doing you should be ok. And no, Summit is not going to change the water pump and timing cover for you, but anyone with the skill to install a motor should be able to change a water pump and timing cover. The oil pan will fit your 94.

Yea I just talked to them again. Wouldnt my stock cover, TB and intake all fit this? What about the computer issue? They didnt know. It has no computer, would my computer work for this engine? Is the computer like all the sensors, or what?

Yea I have someone to help. I just called Summit about the 306 and they said it would have to have a different water pump and timing cover for it to fit. Didnt think to ask if they could do it.. You think they would? And I forgot to ask about the oil pan too. Its labeled as dual sump "that fits most FOX BODY" cars I have a 94

you can just reuse the timing cover and water pump that are on your car now.

Everything should should swap over. Your computer will work, however, you will probably want to have it tuned at some point down the road. Also, you could reuse your stock intake, but to see the full potential of that motor, you will want to upgrade that. And you won't be able to use the valve covers that come with that motor with your stock intake unless you get a spacer. You will also probably want to upgrade injectors, throttle body, mass air, exhaust and fuel pump.

So to see the full potential of that crate motor, you are going to need alot more than 3k bucks. You could get by with your stock stuff for now, but you will be choking off some power.

OK so after reading a lot about these crate engines Im not sure it is the best way to go. They are very limited in modifying. If I was t get a rebuild kit roughly how long would it take? Ive been reading where people say they have been rebuilding for years. Is this something that could be done over the weekend? And is EVERYTHING in these kits? I believe when i was lookin they didnt have everything. Also are they literally ready to be put together, or do I have to get machining done? Run down please lol. Im gonna do some research, but maybe yall can explain better. Also if I was to rebuild Id want to get some gain, not it be the same as now

I dont understand all this ring oversize and bore and all that..... seems too complicated and risky. Maybe crate is better

Saying I do get the ford crate x302 would standard 302 aftermarket bolt ons like headers, intake manifolds,TB fit this? Or would it need to be 93

First, most aftermarket stuff is going to fit a crate motor no problem.

Second, rebuild kits come in different levels. Basic kits may just include new bearings and seals, on up to complete kits that include new pistons and rods.

You will still want to have the block cleaned and bored. You can do this yourself, but due to your experience level and probable lack of tools, leave this to a machine shop. Last I checked a few years ago, it was about 15-20 buck per cylinder, so about 150 bucks or so.

You will probably want to recondition the head will you are at it.

Here are your options as I see them:

1. Buy new car and sell old one. Easiest route but may just be getting into different problems.

2. Pull heads and install new gaskets. Install new cam while you have it apart. Relatively cheap but you would still have a high mileage motor which may be needing fresh rings and bearings.

3. Complete rebuild. If you do the work yourself (with help) this may still be relatively cheap. You would have a fresh motor and good place to start adding performance. Make sure you have someone who can successfully help you do this work.

4. Have a shop rebuild motor. This is going to cost you but at least you would have a warrantee.

5. Buy a complete used motor, from intake to pan. Since you are in GA, check out Mustang Parts Specialties. ( I am not saying I recommend them, just check them out) They usually have complete 94/95 engine assemblies for around 700-800 bucks. This will make it a pretty easy swap, just a matter of unplugging everything, dropping in the motor and plugging everything back in. But in the end you still have a used stock motor.

6. Buy a good new short block (engine without heads and accessories), and swap over everything from your motor. Cost more than a used motor but it will be new except for heads. Again, your heads may need to be rebuilt also.

7. Buy good long block crate motor (engine with heads installed) and swap over rest of your stock components. Cost more than short block but will be all new except intake and accessories.

8. Buy complete new engine assembly, intake to pan. Will be the most expensive option other than having everything done by shop. Like buy complete used motor, will be mostly plug and play.

I am not recommending any one option over another, but given your lack of experience and knowledge, I would probably steer clear of doing a rebuild yourself. You said you had someone to help you with this, so you really need to be asking that person what they think and what they can do. You are also going to need to have the tools available that you will need for this project. I am not trying to discourage you, but I don't want to see you sink a lot of money into this and not be able to do it. In the end it will cost you more to fix your mistakes.

Good luck to you and keep on posting.