How bad has your car blown up?

Just need some comfort here guys...My car blew up in December and it is still in pieces...I have however been doing alot at the same time.

I went away to school-cost me lots of time and even more money-Even CSU's are expensive!

I got engaged in April wih the wedding in December-also took lots and LOTS of money-Damonds are expensive!
I have also been aquiring lots of parts-converting my car to carb, bought all the necessary components, all new MSD system (dizzy, box, blaster ss coil), Holley 750 HP carb, all AN fittings and hose, Victor jr intake manifold, etc etc

Also, while the car is apart got full tubular k member, a arms, coil overs and WELD prostars all the way around (meats and skinnies) as well as an extra set with some M/T ET Streets.

Anyway, to make a long story short, on December 17th, went to the track. Planning on getting kicked out first pass because no cage. (Car went consistent 11.70's @121.XX on cobra r's with BFG drag radials, bone stock suspension.)

Line up, do a great big sexy burnout through the tree lights. Stage car, leave hard, grab the 200HP wet unit out of the hole, 1.7 60ft (not the best but pretty good with bone stock suspension and huge 17X9 rims). Grab second, pulling hard, Grab third BOOOM! Sounded like a grenade exploded. Big white flash then dark and covered in glass.

Turns out dowel pin and bolt in camshaft spun...bent all the valves open, spark plugs ignited intake charge with 200hp worth of nitrous and fuel, blew the rear plenum of my manifold off into my cobra rr hood. Hood blew off (sheared the pins right off), came throught the windshield and caved in the roof. It was/still is a mess!

Make me feel better!

• Sponsors (?)

My engine blew on June 4th because of a really stupid nitrous incident. I'm still pissed about it. The piston #8 broke/exploded and slingshot in my AFR head :doh: Resulted in 2 bent valves. The car was for sale when it happened and since I wasnt able to sell it then, I decided to put it back to stock. Now I'm ready to put the engine stock back in..:nonono:

I had a BAD n2o backfire (window switch was on back order, my fault 100% for playing). Thought I got off with a blown headgasket as it started to overheat shortly after that. Did a gasket swap and still had an issue with lost power/ and some overheating (had swapped in a 180* t-stat with the head gasket). Found with a air press test the gasket was not sealing well, and replaced it again. Then still had soft power/bad ping/overheating. Took it back and found that #3 was in bad shape and the 180 was causing issues with my fans and causing a slight overheating issue being made worse by a bad ground not letting my fans work 100% of the time.

end of story the ground and tweecer fixed the overheating, and the rings on #3 and 4 were shot, even though I was told the piston was prob. busted in the ringland they are fine. There was so much blow by on the rings/cyl./pistons/intake it was funny. When I took the stock shortblock apart the #3 & 4 piston just fell out of the bore after I undid the rod bolts, I did not have to tap it they just fell out and hit my damn foot :( .

This is my stock motor when it hydrolocked in a puddle!
dsc01413.jpg

GreenMustangGt said:
This is my stock motor when it hydrolocked in a puddle!
dsc01413.jpg

Atleast your rods/pistons are still in one piece. My number 3 is COMPLETELY blown to pieces. I was going about 30 downshifted to 2nd gear got up to about 4500rpms and BAM cut right off.

Thankfully the 358 is in and running now but man o man was i depressed for the last couple months. :(

lets see, my stock 5.0 i got used had 103k miles on it. i was lied to about the condition of the car, said it was great, ect. later on compression test revealed 50 psi in all cylinders to me.

so i bought a 306 shortblock to replace it, edelbrock heads, ect. got the shortblock, it was used, with a said 200 miles on it from this guy. it looked good, it was my first motor build so i put everything on and thought it was good. assembled entire motor, got it running. the following day i went out for a drive to a friends house, 7 miles each way. went there, and on my way home 9 miles into the trip my oil light came on. a few minutes later, at 11 miles total my temp went from 170, 180, 190 in about 3 seconds. steam started coming out of the hood.

so i turned off into this apartment complex area i thought. it was downhill, my car has no e-brake. i shut it off, and my brake pedal wouldnt compress. so i had to start it again, stop it at the most screwed up angle, and popped the hood. by this time it soared up to 230. blowing crap out of my radiator overflow line. so much pressure going into the radiator its flexing, and it burst my lower radiator hose. thought it was just the head gasket.

get it home. tear it down. all day head gasket install project. im tightening the LAST nut on the corner of my intake. the wrench slips off, falls PERFECT down the distributor hole, goes down, i hear it slap the oil pan. next day, get some magnetic arms, some "claw" type tools. spend 3 hours, get ahold of the wrench, start fishing it back up. it falls, hits the pan, and goes into the rear sump.

time to pull the timing chain cover. we finally get it from there. put it ALL together, drop dist. in, get it all set to run again. i set the timing, drop the hood, get in the car and start backing out of my driveway for a test drive. no sooner do i put it in reverse and start moving, my temp gauge starts FLYING up from 140 to 200. i know whats happened again. shut the car off and it sat for 2 more months.

rings were broke in a couple places, block was cracked. i got bent over, lost about 1000 bucks all said and done, all my work, all the time. :notnice:

Last time I was home from school, I had finished puttin the h.c.i back together to run it and bring it back to school with me. But while on the dyno the oil pump shaft snapped top of 4th and ended up shearing every main bearing all the way to copper. There isn't a bit of copper not showing on them. I was pissed. Other than that, a bent intake valve.

Jeremy