How bad of shape am I in with a DP 2.3t?

Jugador

Aug 30, 2003
Well looking around, I see that this setup probably isn't the best, but I bought a dual plug, maf, stock ecu turbo 2.3 a while back. it runs like 10 lbs, but don't freak out, it's got forged low comp pistons. I hear that my head is probably going to be a problem because the na ones supposedly will burn valves a lot more easily than a turbo head, so then I thought, "how the heck will I run my ignition with only 4 plugs"? well word has it that you can splice one coil to another and run just one, but I don't see why you couldn't just run a single coil and either remove the other or just leave both and not use one. Then the question shifts over to what sensors would a turbo motor have that I don't. I bought 87 turbo coupe intakes off ebay and I see a couple more sensors than I thought I had...perhaps I just don't see them, or maybe I would just leave them unplugged if I don't have them? also, the EGR on the TC intake only has a vaccuum hookup while mine has some sort of (i guess you'd call it) pigtail coming off it and a vaccuum. I figured I would just use my current EGR on the new intake though which shouldn't be an issue.

well those are my immediate plans, any input/insults/wisdom is appreciated.

PS if this is going to be too big a project and I would have to swap to a turbo motor, what all work would be involved there? repinning my current harness for a turbo ecu or getting a whole new harness and having tons of wiring fun?

thanks guys, just answer any of the above if you know it. ANY help will be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I doubt the stock Ecm will get you far once you start turning up the boost.
Check out stinger's webpage and GT350R's. If you want to have an MAF set-up you might be best off to switch VAF, get a EEC-IV tuner and then switch to a V8 MAF.
That would eliminate to dual plug portion too.

I've only done the Speed Density to VAF so I'm not much help other than that. Those guys will know what sensors are different.

well i have a nice proflow maf, but i assume it's calibrated for certain injectors, which would make it fairly limiting i assume...so i ponder the idea of big vam/La3/35 lb injectors sometimes...supposedly it's not too hard, but i'm not sure.

I have a big vam/la3/ and 35 lb injectors.

(I know nothing of it) however....With the use of a Tweecer you can calibrate it as needed. There are people using ones from stock Mass-air mustangs which had 19 lb injectors I think.

id try and go with what you have... contact that guy and see what needs to be changed to run higher levels of boost safely... that'd be kinda neeto... theres no need to swap in a whole different motor when the one you have works... kinda. just gotta workout the bugs...

If you want to have less headache I would do as Stinger has mentioned and do the whole swap, BUT if you are in no rush, have the time to play with it and dont mind spending some money in the proccess then go for it and use what you have. Remember it is your car and the advice that you get is from what worked for other people. So ask questions and sort through the answers man. (Got a Dyno sheet for that? J/K)

Maybe it was missed but when I said do the turbo swap I meant do everything BUT swap out the motor. Just put on a turbo head instead. I was just trying to get you to a known state where you know exactly what you have, what it will take, etc.

BTW, that mass air kit would almost fund your "swap" if you sold it on ebay.

While we are on this topic, I am looking to do the samething.

Here is my composed list of what to buy inorder to do the swap.

Let me know if I am missing anything

ported e6
35lbs injectors
la3
complete head
speed pro forged pistons
turbo with intercooler
valve cover
oil return line
vam

Is there any other differences that would matter when putting a turbo on?

slow2.3

Stinger said:
Maybe it was missed but when I said do the turbo swap I meant do everything BUT swap out the motor. Just put on a turbo head instead. I was just trying to get you to a known state where you know exactly what you have, what it will take, etc.

BTW, that mass air kit would almost fund your "swap" if you sold it on ebay.

that's what i was thinking, but then if you look at it from the whole swap perspective, it would end up being cheaper and would involve less work...and i could keep my current stuff as a backup.

and i have no idea what kind of injectors are on it (neither does my ford mechanic brother...it seems they were rebuilt) so i couldn't really do that exactly. i have no idea what injectors it's calibrated for, so it probably wouldn't go for much.

Jugador said:
and i have no idea what kind of injectors are on it (neither does my ford mechanic brother...it seems they were rebuilt) so i couldn't really do that exactly. i have no idea what injectors it's calibrated for, so it probably wouldn't go for much.

I can't figure you out :scratch:

It doesn't matter what size the injectors are, the meter is calibrated for them so they are a matched set (regardless of size) therefore it will bring good money.

I'm no master...that's not the point. It's one of those deals where if you truly believe it won't bring much on ebay then you can create as many reasons as you want in order to keep that idea going...not knowing the size of the injectors doesn't even appear to be a MINOR issue to me...seems it's a huge wall for you though :shrug:

You could always look for the ID #'s on the maf and contact the manufacturer to see what it's calibrated for.