How Bad Will It Hurt Performance? - Stock Intake.

MrFoxNutCase

Formerly: redcandy2011gt
Sep 24, 2009
Kind of tempted to put the stock upper/lower intake manifold back on - a heavily ported one at that. Only because I'm kind of going OCD on this restoration / "making it stock" thing...

So here's the current setup: Typhoon intake (ported), 76mm TB/spacer, 76mm BBK MAF, 24# injectors, BBK long tubes, Edelbrock emission legal Performer 1.90 heads (waiting to be installed, currently has real GT40 heads), 1.7 roller rockers and the famous B303 cam. The bottom end is stock, low mile 302. It had even compression on all cylinders, very good block.

It's not like I have a monster windsor that will be choked with a stock intake. The stock intake I can use has been ported pretty much to the max, the wall between the ports are razor thin (literally). Probably flows like the typical exploder "GT40" intake.

Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Why not put an explorer intake on instead? They look very similar to the stock 5.0 intake (especially if you use the 5.0 HO intake plate) , and the earlier models have the EGR so you can make it a factory install.

ignore the angled adapter. That's for 94-95 cars
20131028_095915_zps1a2f83a8.jpg

Even if going for a truly OEM engine bay, an intake is not a permanent mod by any means. A few hours of work and you can have a stock intake back on the engine and would never really know it was ever removed. You might as well enjoy the power bump from the explorer intake over even a ported stocker. I believe the CFM numbers are about the same between the two. With stock GT4- heads, no need to even port the explorer lower really. But if you are planning a head change, I'd go with a ported explorer over a ported HO intake. The upper plenum is huge and has a lot of volume which translates to good torque, and the lower has more potential than the HO lower.

Well, the aluminum heads are going to contradict any stock ocd you have.

Find a gt40 tubular intake, while not stock, it still has a ford feel and look to it.
And since you care how it looks (or you wouldn't be concerned using a stock intake), it's by far the best looking intake.
Or do as mike suggested and get an explorer.

I agree about the looks of the tubular intake. I had one and let it slip between my fingers (stoopid me).

I got rid of one I couldn't even use for anything and I still feel bad about it.
So I know how you feel.

If I were building a stock bottom end car, I would do what it takes to get another.

Well, the aluminum heads are going to contradict any stock ocd you have.

Would be a little sleeperish to someone not familiar to Mustangs to see the hood popped on an AL headed Mustang wearing a "stockish" Explorer upper with 5.0 HO plate on it. You're average person would buy the OEM look if viewing that.

yeah... this is how it looks now (ok I put proper OE Ford black rad hoses now)

20160730_195332_resized-1024x576.jpg

The Typhoon has been painted and I put a cut up 5.0 plate there to sort of make a weird OE look lol

Nice looking engine bay.
While you are at it, put the ac back.

This one came out of the factory without AC... But the previous owner put some dealership installed AC unit, hacked the HVAC box, used some weird compressor I've never seen before as well as brackets with no Ford part number. Looks like it came out of a Ford Econoline lol. I just put it back to the build sheet, no radio, no AC, no power anything. Just a cheap low-grade notch for some poor dude that couldn't afford a GT hatch back in 87 lol

Reactions: 1 user
This one came out of the factory without AC... But the previous owner put some dealership installed AC unit, hacked the HVAC box, used some weird compressor I've never seen before as well as brackets with no Ford part number. Looks like it came out of a Ford Econoline lol. I just put it back to the build sheet, no radio, no AC, no power anything. Just a cheap low-grade notch for some poor dude that couldn't afford a GT hatch back in 87 lol

Been a while since I've seen or heard anyone talk about a factory stripped down notch.
The last one I saw was probably 15 years ago and was beat to hell, and my buddy still tried to buy it.

I just put it back to the build sheet, no radio, no AC, no power anything. Just a cheap low-grade notch for some poor dude that couldn't afford a GT hatch back in 87 lol

Pretty sure in order to get one without a radio and absolutely no other options, you had to special order it. Everyone wanted the GT back then, and nobody paid much attention to the coupes...let alone one without a radio. If that came in on a fleet order, they would have had a hard time selling it. Pretty confident that guy knew what he wanted, and ordered the car that way.

30 years later....very desirable.

Just to make sure... radio delete should be Y on the door tag under "R"... I was going to find and put in an 87 radio/cassette player but I will leave it be I guess.

I don't get the AC install though, it was a RH980 (I think, can't remember right now) compressor... Prev. owner only remembers getting the car "back in to get AC put in"... no details.

Correct. Y is radio delete.

For AC, there were two options. One is factory AC which is the standard setup we all know, and the other is a dealer installed AC option for cars delivered without it. There was a discussion a long time ago about dealer air and I believe the reason behind it was that you had to order certain options packages to get factory A/C. Some people didn't want this I guess so they took delivery of cars optioned the way they wanted to and then had the dealer add A/C

Factory AC uses a Denso 6P148A compressor. Dealer installed uses a Sanden SD709 compressor

Here's an SD709
vta-04709-vma_xl.jpg

Attachments

• 58581.jpg
    58581.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited: