How big is the difference in Mach 1 engines?

crashGTR1

Dec 2, 2003
Chicago
Hey everyone. Just wondering, since I was at one point considering swapping in a Mach 1 engine, how big is the difference between the automatic and manual versions of the Mach 1 engine? In terms of horsepower, torque and redline, what's the difference? Please help if you can. Thanks.
--Adam

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the 5spd. puts out a bit more power than the auto @ the wheels (less drivetrain loss). The redlines are the same although the auto shifts far before :rolleyes: Other than that, they are fairly equal.

Volldamort said:
Well, the 5spd. puts out a bit more power than the auto @ the wheels (less drivetrain loss). The redlines are the same although the auto shifts far before :rolleyes: Other than that, they are fairly equal.

First off, thanks for writing. Secondly, if I swapped it in, would I hit the same hp as a new Mach 1 (roughly 270-300 @ the wheels)? I'm hoping yes, but I wasn't sure. I just heard that the manual version has a forged crank, whereas the auto does not. True? Basically I want an engine that has good power stock so I can build it from there. Plus, I want the top end of a 4V. Thanks again.
--Adam

The forged crank mean basically nothing as far as performance. It's there mainly for durability. All 99/01 Cobra engines came with the forged crank too. The swap (with proper tuning, etc.) will give you the advertised power.