how big with afr 165s?

• Sponsors (?)

i would go 185s if i was doing a 347 man. i believe the 165s r only good for like 400ish hp if ur going with a 347 stroker i would lean towards 185s. they have charts on the site i believe. 205s r just sick..............but it all depends how crazy ur going to get with it. i just got 165s from a guy who wanted to go bigger. he was at 410hp and wanted to hit 500. i will be happy with 330.

if i go all out with an after market block i will look into 185s or 205s. but for a stout street motor most likely 331 the 165s should be ok? if anything leave power to be discovered.

AFRs flow in the 230 CFM range at .600 lift, if memory serves. Rule of thumb says they should support slightly more than 460 crank hp. That should be around 400 at the wheels through a manual. So, yeah, it should be fine for a mild 331 or 347. 185s would be better, though.

Haven't run the motor yet, but it terms of what they flow and what they'll support, the 205cc's I have are a pretty badass head. If you end up going in a less mild directed or a bigger ci, id go with 185s at the least. 165s should handle what it sounds like you're after for now

good point rick. thats y i went with an original cobra and a mild port on the lower half of the intake to match the 165s instead of a holley sytemax. because the cobra is higher on torque especially at DD rpms. it depends what ur doing with ur car. im not racing it so 6000 and above rpms don't mean much to me.

good point rick. thats y i went with an original cobra and a mild port on the lower half of the intake to match the 165s instead of a holley sytemax. because the cobra is higher on torque especially at DD rpms. it depends what ur doing with ur car. im not racing it so 6000 and above rpms don't mean much to me.

this is my set as of now stock short block,165s, tmoss ported cobra upper and lower, and supporting mods. i do intend for a mild 331. a street machine that will see open track days (not drag).
everything everyone has said has helped. i think i will plan for a 331 keeping my 165s and if i feel the need go with a bigger head. but the $1500 for heads will go to a trans and rear end and suspension for now.

thanks everyone