How can I stop my......

TrophyHead

15 Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
PA
Odometer(sp?) from rolling anymore miles. I need to pass emissions and Im gonna get it exempt but before I do I want to make sure of something.

I can only go 5000 miles in a year. Lets say Im getting close to 5000 is there a way I can disconnect my odometer for a month then hook it back up before for I show the state my mileage?

LOL what kind of fraud is this? :)

• Sponsors (?)

Is it against the law to put a speedo gear with more teeth in accidently?
:shrug:

*Your honor... I accidently ordered the wrong speedo gear to replace my worn out one.

I didn't notice it until the man at the service station called the cops on me.*

Yeah...I would definately do that...since I never plan on selling my cars...Besides as soon as you hit 100K it doesn't even show up on the title...

Trophyhead: Explain to me how that 5000 mile thing works...I know I will have a hard time passing emission so I need to get examped somehow...

Ok, so 30 days passes and all is cool. I bet it is just a little too easy and conveinent to leave it off permently. Especially, when you consider it may help the value of the car. This is why it is probably illegal in all 50 states to knowingly tamper with the odometer (or its sub-systems). We all have said that we're never going to sell our stangs...at least that's what I said on my white 93GT and white 98 cobra convert....they come and they go...you can't predict how you will feel in the future.

2 cents

Idwitheld-1` said:
Ok, so 30 days passes and all is cool. I bet it is just a little too easy and conveinent to leave it off permently. Especially, when you consider it may help the value of the car. This is why it is probably illegal in all 50 states to knowingly tamper with the odometer (or its sub-systems). We all have said that we're never going to sell our stangs...at least that's what I said on my white 93GT and white 98 cobra convert....they come and they go...you can't predict how you will feel in the future.

2 cents

NO dude you don't understand...I WILL NEVER sell my cars...too much money invested...plus it's not like I can find ones in better shape...Besides if that is the only way to get through emission I will do what ever it takes...You think discontecting the cable is bad...Let me ask you a question, when people say they rebuild their motor XXX miles ago are they telling the truth? It's the same thing...Miles mean nothing nowdays on a 5.0...it's the over all shape of the vehicle that will determine the real miles on the car...I don't mean to be shady but as I stated before anything over 100K does not go on the title...

There's no reason anyone should be making a big deal of this. The newest fox Stang is 11 years old already. No one who buys an 11 year old car should be concerned with mileage. Do whatever you need to do to get a PASS on an emissions test. I just bought another 90 LX and the title read EXEMPT on the odometer section. Also, when I did a CARFAX on that same car, a red flag came up saying that the mileage was inaccurate due to the car's mechanical limits. It said exaclty "Exceeds mechanical limits", meaning that because the odometer went only as high as 99,999.9 miles, you'd never get an honest reading after that so it dosen't matter anway. Everyone's always makin suh a big deal bout little ***** !!!!!!

Highbredcloud said:
NO dude you don't understand...I WILL NEVER sell my cars...too much money invested...plus it's not like I can find ones in better shape...Besides if that is the only way to get through emission I will do what ever it takes...You think discontecting the cable is bad...Let me ask you a question, when people say they rebuild their motor XXX miles ago are they telling the truth? It's the same thing...Miles mean nothing nowdays on a 5.0...it's the over all shape of the vehicle that will determine the real miles on the car...I don't mean to be shady but as I stated before anything over 100K does not go on the title...

Exactly, My car has a 120,000 on it and the mileage is exempt on the title. If you drive under 5,000 miles a year your car it self is considered exempt by the state. So when you get the car inspected....They write the mileage on the back. Then if you say your "exempt" you can only drive it 5,000 miles in a year. Next time you get it inspected they check to see if you have gone over 5,000 miles. If you do go over this I bet you'll get a nice ticket.(that's what Im scrared). I only drive it the summer so I probably wont even come close. This is how it works in PA its probably the same in IL if you have emissions.

I plan on never selling the car either. Ever check the blue book on a Fox body, not really much resale value there. I just bought the car to burn rubber and pick up chicks.....although the last one hasent happened yet... :shrug: girls like paint jobs I guess.

I think you guys are kinda confused about that 5k a year thing. There is no way that the state is going to give u a ticket for driving your 100k+ mile car for more than 5k a year. I dont know who told you that but i really dont think thats true. The other thing is.....thats real $hity bout what your doing with the mileage. Even if you think you are going to keep that car forever....you might not and that kind of crap just gives us stangers a really bad reputation and makes people feel really untrusting. Im in college and i believe that what your doing is shady as hell. Its kinda rediculous that mustang owners cant even trust other mustang owners as to what the actual mileage is of their cars.....just my opinion but just think bout it, your kinda F'in it up for everyone in the sport by doing that crap...not really worth it

sixty9boss302 said:
I think you guys are kinda confused about that 5k a year thing. There is no way that the state is going to give u a ticket for driving your 100k+ mile car for more than 5k a year. I dont know who told you that but i really dont think thats true. The other thing is.....thats real $hity bout what your doing with the mileage. Even if you think you are going to keep that car forever....you might not and that kind of crap just gives us stangers a really bad reputation and makes people feel really untrusting. Im in college and i believe that what your doing is shady as hell. Its kinda rediculous that mustang owners cant even trust other mustang owners as to what the actual mileage is of their cars.....just my opinion but just think bout it, your kinda F'in it up for everyone in the sport by doing that crap...not really worth it

I get what you're saying and I agree with you 100% but check this out...I have a vert with less then 36,000 original miles on it...All documented and I have all the receipts provided for every part I have...You think I'm gonna get rid of it? HELL NO!!! I also have another LX that has over 103K that I plan on swaping a 331 stroker block from DSS or others along with a whole new upper end, new tranny etc, etc...right now the LX shows that I have 3,XXX miles on it...How in the world can anyone prove to me what the realy milage is on the car anymore? Esepcially once I swap to a new engine and tranny? That's like having a brand new car...am I wrong? BTW: I'll also be getting a nice paint job to go with it...The point I'm trying to make is a person interested in one of my mustangs will not be looking at the milage but rather what condition the vehicles are in and what sort of parts I have on them...right? I mean siht...the previous owner that had the LX didn't get a speedo gear when he installed the 3.73's so really I don't have over 100K on it...right? Come on now if you call that shady...I don't know what to say about that...BTW: the whole under 5,000 miles per year I pretty sure applies to vehicles that are modded...I know I asked my insurance about this when I was going to insure the car as a show car...Not sure if emission is the same but if it is HELL YEAH I will do that simply because than I can really set up a killer combo without worrying about the damn EPA on my A$$!!!

ECU5.0 said:
one other thing...if you disconnect the cable from the trans will your speedo still work?

Unfortunately I don't think it will...hopefully the RPM's will...I don't know how fast I'm going anyways since my speedo gear is missing some teeth and it evens out after like 60MPH...The spedometer just keeps on bouncing all over the place... :rlaugh:

sixty9boss302 said:

When did driving around with an off-road h-pipe and no smog pump offend anybody?

I only drive the car in the summer around the city and never go on the highway. So I probably wont even come close to 5000 miles but If I come close Im pulling the speedo cable. WTF is the promblem there?
Its better than buying a 400 dollar catted H-pipe(there expensive) which I'll take off anyways after I pass the emission test.

How the **** am I ruining the sport for everbody else?

I could see if I put a 20,000 mile guage cluster in my car and sold it out like that. But what's another 300 miles on top of 125,000? :shrug: