How can they confiscate these cars?

[QUOTE='66 coupe]
I've got a friend that is from NYC and used to street race Mustangs when foxes were brand new. He said that some people would steal 3 or 4 brand new Mustangs and park them in alleys and lots and whenever they needed a spare part, they knew where to get them.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the first owner of my 93', had it stolen shortly after buying it.

• Sponsors (?)

1985 5.0 said:
No drag strips in NC are open late. And from what I read on other forums, Charlotte doesn't even have a drag strip to go. I will look that up in a minute.

I'm not saying it's easy to go to the track everywhere. But a track fixes nothing for most people. Even where there are easily accessible tracks, street racing is a problem.

Most of the guys that I know that street race have no desire to go to the track even if it was open 24/7. To many rules and regulations and not enough of a "thrill" for them. I think that they are incredibly foolish and ultimately will pay a high price for their thrill, hopefully they don't injure or kill someone along the way.

Exactly.

"One Mustang had a racing engine in it, police said."

I wonder how exactly they determine what a "racing engine" is.

I'm sure the cops knew what they were talking about, maybe even the reporter but they just dumbed down the term for the readers. Would the average Joe Schmoe reading this article in his local paper see the significance of a Mustang with a 460/C6 combo?

1985 5.0 said:
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15940038.htm

This makes no sense why the cops impounded their cars and arrested them for hanging out in a parking lot. :shrug:

"But he added that he bought his 1994 Mustang two years ago and souped it up to make the engine sound bigger." lmao i love this sentence

On Sunday, officers seized several Ford Mustangs, Honda Civics, Acuras and Mitsubishis. Many had new engines and transmissions, and their owners had stripped the seats, radios and air conditioners so the cars could go faster, an undercover CMPD officer who didn't want to be identified told the Observer. One Mustang had a racing engine in it, police said.

racing engine? wtf? oh noes it has an intake and supercharger!:shrug:

So if I happened to have been in the same parking lot at the same time of these arrests with my Fox body in the same lot sitting next to a documented street racer, I would have been arrested, and my car auctioned off...

Why not just arrest these guys at the home with a warrant.

Organized street racing is dumb and immature, and if these kids were under surveilance and got caught after doing this multiple times, I say good for the cops!

I live 2+ hours from any track. Street racing happens every weekend here and I dont partake. Some people who cant control their urges, should not own vehicles!

Henceforward said:
So if I happened to have been in the same parking lot at the same time of these arrests with my Fox body in the same lot sitting next to a documented street racer, I would have been arrested, and my car auctioned off...

Why not just arrest these guys at the home with a warrant.

Read the threads S&K posted.

-They were doing surveillance for months. Just because they were hanging out when the cops showed up doesn't mean they weren't on tape racing from previous nights.

-One kid was arrested and they dropped his ticket, and he should be getting his car back(he wasn't on tape).

-They are issuing other warrants to catch the others they have tape of who weren't there when the bust went down.

What's funny to me is a bunch of people talking about "entrapment" and all this other BS like they have degrees in CJ or Law. LOL Good to see most of the others in those threads aren't total dumbasses and know the kids got what they deserved.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]I'm sure the cops knew what they were talking about, maybe even the reporter but they just dumbed down the term for the readers. Would the average Joe Schmoe reading this article in his local paper see the significance of a Mustang with a 460/C6 combo?[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean though I do find that some LEOs are pretty uneducated when it comes to high performance cars. To many around here loud=fast.

I have a 19 year old kid who works for me that is into street racing and I keep trying to get him to come out to the track and run but he wants no part of it. He says its not the same and doesn't want to wear a helmet and have to fix his car to get through tech, anyone who lives in central FL know what a joke speedworld tech is, and has lots of other excuses. Nice kid but not real bright when it comes to things like this.

He is always trying to get me to come out. I have no desire to be involved in organized street racing. I will admit that I have and probably will occasionally take part in a little stoplight to stoplight action every now and again but as I get older I find that it doesn't hold as much excitement and fun as it once did.

Well, one reason could be, if these guys are pretty tight, which you can assume they are, buy the time the cops go to one or 2 houses to serve warrents, the rest could be made aware, of what is going on, and make theirselve's scarce, which means even more time and money spent trying to track them down. Yeah the media printed some dumb stuff, but chalk that up tp being ignorant about cars. You cant expect non car enthusiasts to write up an article like this using terms like superchargers, turbo's,tc and make it sound like a write up in a car mag. The cop was probably either A) not a car guy and didnt know anything about the cars other than they were made to go very fast somehow, or B) He knew the reporter probably wouldnt know what the heck he was talking about if he did go onto detail about the modifications on these cars, so he explained it to her in layman's terms.

1985 5.0 said:
No drag strips in NC are open late. And from what I read on other forums, Charlotte doesn't even have a drag strip to go. I will look that up in a minute.
CHarlotte has some tracks fairly close(Mooresville-about 30 mminutes away,Pageland,SC-about 45 minutes away, both 1/8th mile tracks and Rockingham Dragway(The Rock) which is about 1 1/2 hours away with full 1/4 mile), BUt these arent open that late,maybe 12-1 am on FRi and Sat. I do not know how late they are open on the T&T nights. There is not a strip here in Charlotte. The owner of Charlotte Motor Speedway had a chance to build a track beside the oval, but decided that a dirt track would make more money, so that's what we got.

s&k stangs said:
CHarlotte has some tracks fairly close(Mooresville-about 30 mminutes away,Pageland,SC-about 45 minutes away, both 1/8th mile tracks and Rockingham Dragway(The Rock) which is about 1 1/2 hours away with full 1/4 mile), BUt these arent open that late,maybe 12-1 am on FRi and Sat. I do not know how late they are open on the T&T nights. There is not a strip here in Charlotte. The owner of Charlotte Motor Speedway had a chance to build a track beside the oval, but decided that a dirt track would make more money, so that's what we got.
If I was a betting man, I would say that Charlotte will have a drag strip within about 2 or 3 years.

so how much sense does this make... the cops got the "tricked out" Race engine" cars that donot belong on the street confescate them and then re sell the cars that do not belong on the street to the public again... then the cops arest the people who bought the cars from the auction for having cars with race engines and astolen parts?????

rickd93_lx said:
so how much sense does this make... the cops got the "tricked out" Race engine" cars that donot belong on the street confescate them and then re sell the cars that do not belong on the street to the public again... then the cops arest the people who bought the cars from the auction for having cars with race engines and astolen parts?????
Read the NC statues that I posted, found within the threads that I posted earlier, and you will see that No cars modified for speed will be sold to the ppublic until all speed componants are remived and the car is returned to factory stock. In the case that the modifications are so extensive that the car cannot be returned to stock form, the car will be put into law enforcemnt duty or crushed or used as target practice by the police force. Any aftermakret parts removed from the cars in the process, will be destroyed.(NOw you dont have to read it:D )

1985 5.0 said:
If I was a betting man, I would say that Charlotte will have a drag strip within about 2 or 3 years.
Wont happen. Charlotte is way too populated as it is now, and the oulying areas are getting developed faster than you can say "where's all the trees go?" There was a track close by not too long ago not sure how long, I got into the scene after it was gone, but they had to shut it down because of all the new neighborhoods that went up around it. Which really is crap. The raceway was their for years(Shuffletown was the name), and then they start building neighborhoods and it gets shut down due to noise compaints.Some say that there is more to that story about the owner getting into some bad stuff. Get this. The land that the track was built on was donated by a family that lost their to son to ( are you ready?).....street racing. Money talks guys.
Sidenote: If you're suprised about the harshness of the laws about street racingn here in NC, you may want to do a search and find out what your state or provinces statutes say. SN"s own Mad Mark found NC's for me, as I couldnt find it anywhere(Thanks again Mark). If you find em, post em up.I for one am curious how other state handle this.

rickd93_lx said:
an other thing alot of parts are 50state legal, so why would those need to be removed,, ie.... s/c, cai, headders, ect....
Because those parts are no longer 50 state, or any state legal, when they are on a car that has been confiscated for street racing. If you were to get arrested for murder, and the weapon you used to comit the crime is recovered as evidence,if you are convicted, after the trial is over, that weapon will be destroyed(well, its supposed to be destroyed. Depends who gets their hands on it first.lol)
And the same people that pay to hve these clowns taken off the street, are the ones that pay for the cars to be returned to their original condition. Personaly, I dont have a problem with my tax dollars being used in this way. It worth it to have a little more peice of mind while Im on the road.

s&k stangs said:
Sidenote: If you're suprised about the harshness of the laws about street racingn here in NC, you may want to do a search and find out what your state or provinces statutes say. SN"s own Mad Mark found NC's for me, as I couldnt find it anywhere(Thanks again Mark). If you find em, post em up.I for one am curious how other state handle this.

Not trying to defend street racing in any way, it's stupid, but are the laws against DUI affenders nearly as harsh there, or anywhere for that matter?