How can they confiscate these cars?

mob said:
its wrong for them to auction off the cars,

Would you support higher taxes to fund the law enforcement operations?

It's not like their bakesale flopped so they just went out and seized cars from a bunch of innocent people. Like you said, these people had it coming, and this way more people can eventually get what's coming to them, including drunk drivers, child molesters, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

<===== Has been to court for street racing... No fun :(

The problem isn't just that the track isn't open. It's that we didn't have the money to get into the track. It's that we got run off from vacant parking lots. It's that we got pulled over because we had a loud car and weren't speeding. It's because we had nowhere to go.

I'm not saying it's right- I've grown up. But, if you treat children like animals they're going to act like animals.

One last thing- I'm talking about 16-20 year olds. If your a 21 year old still out racing with kids who can't get into clubs, bars or don't own their own place... then you belong to the state.

Flame me... It won't change the truth that I lived. :)

caseywan said:
Not trying to defend street racing in any way, it's stupid, but are the laws against DUI affenders nearly as harsh there, or anywhere for that matter?
Couldnt tell you what the DUI laws are. BUt according to some in the threads, you do stand to lose your car for a DUI. There are also DUI auctions in Raleigh,NC, so Im assuming that if they are not as harsh, they are close. Some people say that politicians are comming down on racing(street, not track) harder than DUI's cause it makes em look good, and generates more revenue. I think that is just the typical younger generation response though. You hear that anytime there is a crackdown on something that is generally associated with the younger crowd. Been that way for generations. I dont know why cops dont sit outside of bars and clubs and do the same thing they did with these kids,instead of roadside DUI checkpoints on holidays. Maybe its a manpower issue. For every street racer in Charlotte, I would venture to guess that there are probably 150 people convicted of repeat DUI's. But how do you keep an alcoholic from driving drunk? Lock em up? Well, them prison space becomes an issue. We know how much money goes into our cars, and these cars are part of our lifestyle, so when someone threatens to take that away, we scream :bs: . BUt look at it this way. The state doesnt care how much money we put into the cars. They arent going to make any real money off of em. The only thing that the state sees is that A) There is a law on the books that bans any organized speed compition on public roads. B) This person got caught breaking that law with this car. C) the laaw says that is he is convicted, he loses the car. It is only a car used in an unsafe, illegal activity. Thats all they care about. You think a person getting caught smoking crack should get their crack pipe back? Nothin illegal about owning a glass tube, so why not? Its still his personal property.He paid for that glass tube. BUT, he used that pipe to smoke crack, which is illegal. The only difference between our cars and a crack pipe is how much money we put into our cars.

Strype said:
<===== Has been to court for street racing... No fun :(

The problem isn't just that the track isn't open. It's that we didn't have the money to get into the track. It's that we got run off from vacant parking lots. It's that we got pulled over because we had a loud car and weren't speeding. It's because we had nowhere to go.

I'm not saying it's right- I've grown up. But, if you treat children like animals they're going to act like animals.

One last thing- I'm talking about 16-20 year olds. If your a 21 year old still out racing with kids who can't get into clubs, bars or don't own their own place... then you belong to the state.

Flame me... It won't change the truth that I lived. :)

im living that now

s&k stangs said:
Couldnt tell you what the DUI laws are. BUt according to some in the threads, you do stand to lose your car for a DUI. There are also DUI auctions in Raleigh,NC, so Im assuming that if they are not as harsh, they are close. Some people say that politicians are comming down on racing(street, not track) harder than DUI's cause it makes em look good, and generates more revenue. I think that is just the typical younger generation response though. You hear that anytime there is a crackdown on something that is generally associated with the younger crowd. Been that way for generations. I dont know why cops dont sit outside of bars and clubs and do the same thing they did with these kids,instead of roadside DUI checkpoints on holidays. Maybe its a manpower issue. For every street racer in Charlotte, I would venture to guess that there are probably 150 people convicted of repeat DUI's. But how do you keep an alcoholic from driving drunk? Lock em up? Well, them prison space becomes an issue. We know how much money goes into our cars, and these cars are part of our lifestyle, so when someone threatens to take that away, we scream :bs: . BUt look at it this way. The state doesnt care how much money we put into the cars. They arent going to make any real money off of em. The only thing that the state sees is that A) There is a law on the books that bans any organized speed compition on public roads. B) This person got caught breaking that law with this car. C) the laaw says that is he is convicted, he loses the car. It is only a car used in an unsafe, illegal activity. Thats all they care about. You think a person getting caught smoking crack should get their crack pipe back? Nothin illegal about owning a glass tube, so why not? Its still his personal property.He paid for that glass tube. BUT, he used that pipe to smoke crack, which is illegal. The only difference between our cars and a crack pipe is how much money we put into our cars.

Yeah, my point is just this:
Local authorities are many times way too revenue orientated, they do a lot of stupid things cracking down on stuff that they could really spend their time better elsewhere. A lot, not all, of what they do is just geared towards getting the state more revenue.

For example, I live in Chicago and they just started using these Camera/Radar vans all over the city and suburbs that take pictures of license plates of speeders and people running red lights and stop signs and then you get ticket for $200+ in the mail. Each van costs the city about $150,000! Now it has been proven since they started here in Chicago as well in all other major cities that used this system, that all highway sections, areas, intersections, etc, where they use these camera vans, accidents and vehiclular deaths have gone up by at least 20%. These camera vans generated the city and additional $16 million in the first 6 months and $28 million in the first year of use, and most cities openly admit that they do merely for the revenue.

That being said, I think they invest way too much time and energy in things like this street racing sting just because it generates revenue. Granted if it is a huge threatening problem in an area it needs to be dealt with, but according to that one source in a link above, in the past 17 years in the US there have been a total of 345 deaths related to street racing. I mean come on, how can it really be that big of a threat. Not demeaning the deaths of those 345 or the loss to their families, but I think the 17,000+ deaths per year and 350,000+ injuries per year that are caused by DUI pose a much bigger threat. And if DUI is causing that kind of death toll, who cares what kind of man hours it takes to patrol bars and such, I think money, time, and energy is much better spent there. I mean there has to be more they can do. Bring back Prohibition, lol.

caseywan said:
Yeah, my point is just this:
Local authorities are many times way too revenue orientated, they do a lot of stupid things cracking down on stuff that they could really spend their time better elsewhere. A lot, not all, of what they do is just geared towards getting the state more revenue.

For example, I live in Chicago and they just started using these Camera/Radar vans all over the city and suburbs that take pictures of license plates of speeders and people running red lights and stop signs and then you get ticket for $200+ in the mail. Each van costs the city about $150,000! Now it has been proven since they started here in Chicago as well in all other major cities that used this system, that all highway sections, areas, intersections, etc, where they use these camera vans, accidents and vehiclular deaths have gone up by at least 20%. These camera vans generated the city and additional $16 million in the first 6 months and $28 million in the first year of use, and most cities openly admit that they do merely for the revenue.

That being said, I think they invest way too much time and energy in things like this street racing sting just because it generates revenue. Granted if it is a huge threatening problem in an area it needs to be dealt with, but according to that one source in a link above, in the past 17 years in the US there have been a total of 345 deaths related to street racing. I mean come on, how can it really be that big of a threat. Not demeaning the deaths of those 345 or the loss to their families, but I think the 17,000+ deaths per year and 350,000+ injuries per year that are caused by DUI pose a much bigger threat. And if DUI is causing that kind of death toll, who cares what kind of man hours it takes to patrol bars and such, I think money, time, and energy is much better spent there. I mean there has to be more they can do. Bring back Prohibition, lol.
+1

How many states are there that could not use more revenue? The issue as far as revenue gores is not how it is generated,but how it is put to use.How much revenue would be generated by habitual drunk drivers with multipal duis who actually pay the fines? More deaths are caused by drunk driving than gang related crime, so should the police stop cracking down on gang viloence? The simple fact is our law enforcement agencies have are fighting a loosing battle. They cant possibly put an end to drunk driving, cause there are just too many people doing it, hence the high death tolls. So, since they cant put an end to that, what is out there that is small enough to try and get a handle on, that wont exhaust the department, and still make a difference in the quality of life of the surrounding commnunities? Street racing certainly qualifies there, dont ya think? I think they have to pick their battles. Street racing is dangerous, its on the rise(in Charlotte anyway), but it is still able to be curbed by strict enforcement,while generating revenue for the state. This was 1 sting that lasted all of 4 months. To my knowledge no more than 2 such street racing stings have occurred here in the 8 years that I have lived here. But there are several random sobriety checkpoints around the Charlotte area every year.
I told myself i was just going to post the threads from the other boards, and keep my mouth shut in this one cause of how much I was in on the others. I have no self control.lol

1985 5.0 said:
Why so harsh?? Maybe he just read the story and posted what he thought about it without taking 15 minutes to read all the posts.

Well...the last segment of my post was just a modification of the last segment of his. So if I was being harsh, I apologize, I thought my reply was in line with his.:shrug:

I think they only arrested the few that had been racing.....from the sounds of it they had been watching these guys for a while, I am sure they knew who was doing what!

Im with strype.......I'de light the f@#ker and go take a ride. If i cant have my car, nobody will.

It's all about money. Police are not about enforcing the law, but making the local goverment wealthy. The more crime means more job security, so that is proof that the Police do not care about actually stopping crime, but they are all the time trying to make laws so they can make money. They are now trying to make new laws to sieze your property for any reason.

The courts have an agenda, and do not follow the rules of innocent until proven guilty. I got a street racing ticket, my attorney expained that it wasn't about innocent/guilty, but the courts making money. He said they would convict me of something. They can convict you of "attempting to plan a street race" IOW: there was a possibliity of you thinking of it, then your guilty. Cobb County Court in Georgia is guilty of this.

But what can we do about it?