How-D Strangers

Dano78

Founding Member
Nov 1, 1999
Vancouver, WA
What happenin in the II world? Been a while since I drove down this street and decided to poke my head in for a quick visit. Lotsa new faces around here! Definately a good thing. :rock:

Anyways.... Just been busier than a Xerox copier at an office party.
Ever since I got my shop built, it's just been one project after, another, after another.... which has been great/fun.. but it's been other peoples projects! I got lots of pics I should post of these cars I did. Lotta neat stuff.
I still have my fastback and dad's got the "76 CBII I had. Had a couple MII parts cars roll through the yard last summer. Haven't done really anything to my Fastback though. Hoping this spring (with it's nicer weather) will get me going on it again.
I see you guys have been busy, lots of neat projects. (been readin the forums today) Cool stuff. I'll try to make more visits and not be such a stranger/lurker. Time is of the essence anymore. The wife's gonna shoot out a baby girl here in a couple months, so I'm fixin up a '78 F150 shortbox Supercab since the '76 Shortwide just can't fit us all. (also a good excuse to take on another project :D )

I guess I've been gone so long my password was lost or something! So now that's cleared up, I'll try to make a better effort to drop in.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats Dano!

My wife and I had a baby girl last September, and I'll warn you now, the projects slow WAY down after that. I was frantically working on my '78 to get it done before she was born, but I didn't make it. My new goal is to be driving it by my 40th birthday at the end of May.

Hopefully your wife isn't as obsessive as mine: She won't allow our daughter to ride in any of my vehicles except the new Shelby. Three tons of steel in the Bronco isn't up to safety standards in her mind...

Thanks guys! We've already got a 6yr old boy, David, so I'm hoping the 2nd time around isn't as bad. And just when i thought I was away from the nasty diapers and 2am feedings for good.... :rolleyes: But we wanted to have at least 2 kids, just not so far apart in age. For a while we thought David was gonna be a only child. The wife had alot of "Female" troubles and that was making for an up hill battle. Better a little wait, than never. :nice:

Yeah...... those projects... *sigh*... if you only seen my backyard... I've got so many projects going I don't even know where to start! And it's gotten worse since I built the shop. Fortunately the ol' lady puts up with my hobby and lets me do as i wish. The latest project is buttoning up the '78 F150 Supercab shortbox that I picked up last Nov. Figured I needed a bigger truck to haul us all around in. Really a nice rig for it's age. Just going through it and replacing all that needs replacing, now, so I don't have to attempt it later when my hands are really full!

My family is all old street rodders. I grew up riding in so called"death trap" street rods and such. The wife doesn't care. She use to drive my '74 Duster when David was really young and then a beat to hell 3/4T '73 Ford truck I had. Only complaint she had was getting the car seat out of the back seat of the Duster. Now she's got a '99 Exploder. I'm suppose to be restoring a '66 Mustang for her, figure I'm in no hurry at least until the kids get a little older. (past the car seat stage) Which, might I add, seems to actually happen pretty quick!

My II still runs and looks ugly. If you take it for a lengthy trip and then shut it off for a while and re-start it, it smokes like an old field tractor, till all the oil burns off. It also smokes a bit just running around. I think I washed the rings with the tunnelram and 450 Holleys on that little 289. Oops! I may not have, could be in the heads too. Got a Hecho en Mexico block standing by for a 331 or 347 kit, tho. Even thought about a 351C swap, but that may get expensive. That, and it needs a repaint, carpet, front seats re-upholstred..... and probably a few other things. like a fuel cell, mini tubs, 9" rear, 6-71 huffer.... You know how that goes.:D

But.....with a little one on the way, and T-Ball season starting here in March...yeah... not gonna get much done!:eek: you just never know!

Congrats on the bambino!

As far as babies in old cars, I feel more safe in the old crap. If it breaks down, me and my small tool set can get it going again (well at least so far) :D
I am proudly one of the last people on earth without a cell phone too:rolleyes:

Congrats on the baby girl, Dano!

I brought my daughter home from the hospital in my Mustang. When she'd cry at night, the wife and I would take her for a cruise in the II, because the steady rumbling and vibrations would lull her to sleep. Now she's a teenager, and she wants that car. haha. I told her, when I'm too old to drive it, it's hers. Not too many people(especially girls) can say they own and drive the hot rod that brought them home for the first time, eh?

Yeah, but I have breaker points in my Bronco! :D

My 82 Suzuki SJ410 (pre Samurai) had points. My dad was going to help me set them, but by the time he dug the dwell meter out of the basement. I noticed the 1984 SJ410 parts truck had electronic ignition and promptly swapped out the distributor. Kinda wish I had waited and learned how though:D At the store we sell a lot of those pertronix electronic ignition conversions for points distributors, so I guess I didn't miss anything too important:rolleyes: