How difficult is it to replace the front bumper cover?

erac78

Feb 11, 2004
I have an '02 Mineral Gray convertible and last Friday I had an ufortunate, ice induced run in with one of the poles on my car port. Long story short, I need to have my passenger side fender and front bumper cover/foam absorber replaced. I found a place from e-bay that sells OEM reject bumper covers (they said light scratching etc.) and my question is, how difficult is it to install the bumper cover? I assume from what I've seen that the absorber is a piece of cake but the cover I have my doubts about. I know that I also have to replace the front piece that sits under the hood and behind the grill that has all of the holes to hold things in place and that I'm not sure of either. Any help and ideas are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Never fooled with a 99 and newer bodied stang, but it shoudl be much like the 98.
You'll have to cut some rivets from the top of the bumper cover, easily be done with a dremel. and a few screws release the bumper cover, the header panel should come off next, that means take out both headlights, then from what I recall the header just unbolts, from the car (this piece goes from corner ilght to corner light and holds the pony in the grill. then you could take off the fender and foam bumper stuff. I highly recommend using two people for at least reassembly. Just cuz of the awkwardness of parts/size. You'll have to find a big enough rivet gun as well to mount the bumper cover back on, you may get lucky and have a buddy at a body shop who would let you borrow one for a few minutes.