How difficult to replace inner fender apron?

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
I already planned to replace my battery tray. So, while assessing the situation, I decided that my inner fender apron needs to be replaced.

As I am researching the possibility of doing it myself, I'd love some feedback from anyone as to how difficult it is. I am just learning to weld, and have no problem waiting (within reason) until my skills are better. Is it feasible for someone who is a novice w/ bodywork an welding? Or, better to explore other options?

The car is in the garage, the resto is just beginning, and the car does not have to be relied on for transportation, etc.

TIA

Bryan

• Sponsors (?)

Not hard. U will need to drill holes for the shock tower bolts, and also holes for plug welds. Just make sure everything is cleaned up nice and you are able to clamp the welding area firmly before welding. Some trimming may also be required. Good place to learn.

I already planned to replace my battery tray. So, while assessing the situation, I decided that my inner fender apron needs to be replaced.

As I am researching the possibility of doing it myself, I'd love some feedback from anyone as to how difficult it is. I am just learning to weld, and have no problem waiting (within reason) until my skills are better. Is it feasible for someone who is a novice w/ bodywork an welding? Or, better to explore other options?

The car is in the garage, the resto is just beginning, and the car does not have to be relied on for transportation, etc.

TIA

Bryan

From my experience the biggest hurdle is the fit of the re-pop piece. Other than that it's just the pain of drilling out the spot welds, cursing at the mess you just unconvered and getting on with it. Mine wsn't bad enought to replace but the top of both front and back aprons were a bit of a mess. Since I'm building a mild resotmod I alse welded the aprons together to make it look cleaner.

DSC04663.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04663.jpg
    DSC04663.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,084
^^^I like that, Rob. It will look very clean. Any thoughts on the best supplier for the piece?

I had considered checking out Mustangs Unlimited or NPD, due to good previous experiences. Any others that anyone would recommend, or NOT recommend? On a side note, I'll also be ordering a new rear valance as well.

I ordered from both NPD & Mustangs Unlimited. It seems like the fitment issues were better with the NPD sheetmetal. I replaced my inner fender apron around 8 years ago due to rust & it wasn't to difficult. It was the first panel that i had replaced and was kinda learning as i went. Good Luck