How do I know if my shocks / struts are bad ?

68 & 00 GT

May 14, 2003
HOUSTON TEXAS
I added an Eibach Pro kit about 70K miles ago, and have been running my stock shocks, and struts with them the whole time. I kinda thought that may not be good for the stock parts. My car seems to be wondering on the lines in the road so I don't know if I just need alingment or more - My car feels firm still, but wonders too much in the highway.
Any suggestions ?

• Sponsors (?)

Probably not your shocks or struts - the usual test is to push down on either bumper like you're trying to 'bounce' the car - this will at least tell you if they're totally shot.

In your case the wandering is more related to alignment, tire inflation, lowering. If it feels like the car is trying to grab every rut in the road and go with it. I'd start with the basics - check tire inflation. Overinflation would definitely play a part.

Just a couple thoughts.

Jay

GOLDENPONY said:
With that many miles on the OE's it's probably time for new ones. I agree, get a good thrust angle alignment and make sure your tire pressures are right.

Good point. Didn't pay attention to the mileage. Looks like it's time for some nice adjustables. I did adjustables on mine (KYB's - reasonably inexpensive) and it's nice to dial the ride you want.

Yeah I'm at 90K miles now, but it's all on a smooth riding highway to and from work every day. What do KYB's runs ? I got 4 - 3 way adjustible KYB (shocks) for like $30 ea for my 68. Any suggestions where to get them cheap. I heard somewhere Edelbrock has some good ones out that are inexpensive too. Any specific for my springs ? What'a a good drag racing set up that I don't have to spend a ton of cash on ? Of course I'll start with checking tire pressure, and alingment. What is out tire pressuere suposed to be ? 35 PSI ?

68 & 00 GT said:
I added an Eibach Pro kit about 70K miles ago, and have been running my stock shocks, and struts with them the whole time. I kinda thought that may not be good for the stock parts. My car seems to be wondering on the lines in the road so I don't know if I just need alingment or more - My car feels firm still, but wonders too much in the highway.
Any suggestions ?

An easy way to test your shocks/struts is to push heavily on the car directly above a wheelwell and if the car bounces back up once quickly it is good.
If it bounces up and down more than once it is bad.

68 & 00 GT said:
Yeah I'm at 90K miles now, but it's all on a smooth riding highway to and from work every day. What do KYB's runs ? I got 4 - 3 way adjustible KYB (shocks) for like $30 ea for my 68. Any suggestions where to get them cheap. I heard somewhere Edelbrock has some good ones out that are inexpensive too. Any specific for my springs ? What'a a good drag racing set up that I don't have to spend a ton of cash on ? Of course I'll start with checking tire pressure, and alingment. What is out tire pressuere suposed to be ? 35 PSI ?

Here is a link to the tirerack - they have pretty good prices. Rear adjustables are about $80/Each and struts are around $100/Each. Take a look.

TIRERACK.COM - 2000 GT