How do i make a Engine Start Button?

• Sponsors (?)

My dad has one in his 91. We did this because the clutch nuetral safety was not letting us start the car with the key. His you have to turn the key on and then hit the button, but dont need the clutch pedal in.

thats how i want to do mine, do u remeber what wires u taped into, did u have to run anymore wires to the starter? can u draw a quick skmatic...

I would think you could use the wires going to the clutch safety switch... But I wouldn't wanna be the first person to try it. In my 89 we found the previous owner had used clothes hanger wire to hold it shut and stuffed it behind the kick panel so that he didn't have to push in the clutch :rlaugh:

http://ravenwingperformance.net/Lighting_Electrical/Ignited_Starter-Button-Kit.html
HERE IS YOUR BUTTON.

just un hook the two wires on each side of the relay connsect each side of the buttons wires to the poles on the solenoid and voila!! just turn key to on position to send power to fuse box and hit the button.

buttonuu6.png

Attachments

• buttonuu6.png
    buttonuu6.png
    7 KB · Views: 94
unless you're planning to use 4ga wiring to the button, I'd not go that route personally. It sounds like you're basically omitting the relay in effect - only using it to connect all the wires together, but bypassing the internals. There's a reason the battery cables and starter wire are 4ga. I'm no expert, but using small wires to directly supply larger wires with power doesn't sound like a good idea.

If you're going to wire a switch, I'd do it as such:

The red wire that goes onto the "screw" on the top of starter relay comes from the clutch interlock swtich. Really, all you have to do is give that wire 12v and it's active. Normally, it gets the 12v by you pressing the clutch in and turning the key to the "on" position. To bypass the switch, you can do one of two things:

1) Pull (or cut) the wire from both sides of the clutch interlock switch. Wire your start button so that it connects those two wires when you push the button.

2) Cut the red wire from after the clutch interlock switch, fuse it and run it to your start button. Run 12 volts (fused) directly from the battery to your start button. Now when you hit the button, you're sending 12v from the battery to the red wire, which basically is doing the same thing as when you hit the key and push in the clutch.

unless you're planning to use 4ga wiring to the button, I'd not go that route personally. It sounds like you're basically omitting the relay in effect - only using it to connect all the wires together, but bypassing the internals. There's a reason the battery cables and starter wire are 4ga. I'm no expert, but using small wires to directly supply larger wires with power doesn't sound like a good idea.

The red wire that goes onto the "screw" on the top of starter relay comes from the clutch interlock swtich. Really, all you have to do is give that wire 12v and it's active. Normally, it gets the 12v by you pressing the clutch in and turning the key to the "on" position. To bypass the switch, you can do one of two things:

1) Pull (or cut) the wire from both sides of the clutch interlock switch. Wire your start button so that it connects those two wires when you push the button.

2) Cut the red wire from after the clutch interlock switch, fuse it and run it to your start button. Run 12 volts (fused) directly from the battery to your start button. Now when you hit the button, you're sending 12v from the battery to the red wire, which basically is doing the same thing as when you hit the key and push in the clutch.

i thought thats what the drawing illustrates :scratch: i did it that way, the way u said to do it

why not tap into everything so you can completely start the car with the button. you know without the key and everything. of course i would setup some type of kill switch also though.

I can't help with the wiring, but my last Mustang had a starter buttom...unfortunately it was already wired so i can't tell you how it was done. The key had to be turned into the on position (so you couldn't just hop in and hit the button and take off, also to unlock the steering wheel). It was cool in a way but also kinda silly, even though it was 80% racecar and 20% street car.

I can't help with the wiring, but my last Mustang had a starter buttom...unfortunately it was already wired so i can't tell you how it was done. The key had to be turned into the on position (so you couldn't just hop in and hit the button and take off, also to unlock the steering wheel). It was cool in a way but also kinda silly, even though it was 80% racecar and 20% street car.
exactly!! :nice:

i thought thats what the drawing illustrates :scratch: i did it that way, the way u said to do it
that is what the drawing is showing.

the smaller wires on the solenoid are not transmiting power from the battery to the starter they are closing the solenoid so it can relay the power from the battery to the starter. go out and take a look at your cars factory wires they aint 4 gauge!!

exactly!! :nice:

that is what the drawing is showing.

the smaller wires on the solenoid are not transmiting power from the battery to the starter they are closing the solenoid so it can relay the power from the battery to the starter. go out and take a look at your cars factory wires they aint 4 gauge!!

Nothing personal man, if you wanna do yours that way, go for it. But, you're gonna need 12v from somewhere. One of those two wires from the Start button is gonna have to pull 12v from either the battery directly or from the ignition switch (or via the wire to the clutch interlock switch). That's how I suggested to do it in my above post. I misunderstood your diagram.

I've seen a starter relay before...

and what exactly is the point of using this start button anyway? You have to push the clutch to shift gears (or at least it's easier), so what's so hard about pushing the clutch in to start the car? Unless the clutch interlock switch is broken, push in the clutch and save the hassle, lol.

I think using the key and having the start button kind of defeats the purpose. If there was a way to removed the steering wheel lock, and add one of the keyless go features to the mustang, where when a key fob is inside the car the push button will start it. Have the button work like the key, have it pushed in a little to the "on" position, and then press and hold for the car to start. I know it is useless and a waste of time and money, but then again a lot of stuff we do is. Maybe I will try something like this in my car, :D

Nothing personal man, if you wanna do yours that way, go for it. But, you're gonna need 12v from somewhere. One of those two wires from the Start button is gonna have to pull 12v from either the battery directly or from the ignition switch (or via the wire to the clutch interlock switch). That's how I suggested to do it in my above post. I misunderstood your diagram.

I've seen a starter relay before...

and what exactly is the point of using this start button anyway? You have to push the clutch to shift gears (or at least it's easier), so what's so hard about pushing the clutch in to start the car? Unless the clutch interlock switch is broken, push in the clutch and save the hassle, lol.

WASNT TAKIN PERSONALLY:nice: