How do I make my car quieter without plugging it up??

So did you lose power putting the cats back on. Mine is awful loud too. Have Magnaflows on it!!

I didnt have any dyno numbers for it before and after. It probably would have been ok w/ the magnflows but w/ the maganpacks it was just so insanely loud. If it did lose any power it was way worth it.

its kinda hard to tell but my friend mike had to yell to even pick up his voice on the camera

O/R H pipe with Magnapacks
YouTube - TravisCBR600's Channel

Bassani Catted X pipe w/ Magnapacks
YouTube - TravisCBR600's Channel

• Sponsors (?)

CTS-V, 03/04 cobra, ZR1....mean much to ya?

Those cars are not overly loud. Yes, they make more horsepower with more free flowing(read louder) exhaust, but in stock form they still make tons of hp. You cant have a quiet system and the best blowing at the same time.

Give up some hp if its that important to you. Car companies do it.

Yeah, and there's a reason some of those cars pick up like 30hp just with a set of mufflers. The exhaust is tuned direct from the factory to keep the noise down. You can't really make a custom muffler for a Mustang. Sometimes reality interferes with theory.

I still think cats are the only way to keep a Mustang quiet.

Kurt

Yeah, and there's a reason some of those cars pick up like 30hp just with a set of mufflers. The exhaust is tuned direct from the factory to keep the noise down. You can't really make a custom muffler for a Mustang. Sometimes reality interferes with theory.

I still think cats are the only way to keep a Mustang quiet.

Kurt

The whole point is that they make comparable power to pokageek with the stock exhaust components. I never said they wont pick up power by swapping out the stock exhaust. They are big motors, that are super charged, and even a cam swap wont make them terribly loud.

Ofcourse a "quiet" exhaust isnt going to maximize performance....but thats not what keith is after. For those wanting a quiet exhaust, there are obvious things you have to give up.

Ya cant have your cake and eat it too.

The whole point is that they make comparable power to pokageek with the stock exhaust components. I never said they wont pick up power by swapping out the stock exhaust. They are big motors, that are super charged, and even a cam swap wont make them terribly loud.

Ofcourse a "quiet" exhaust isnt going to maximize performance....but thats not what keith is after. For those wanting a quiet exhaust, there are obvious things you have to give up.

Ya cant have your cake and eat it too.

Totally agree. I think a quiet exhaust starts with a good muffler. I don't think my car is terribly loud, but it might just be the level of noise I'm accustomed to.

Kurt

Totally agree. I think a quiet exhaust starts with a good muffler. I don't think my car is terribly loud, but it might just be the level of noise I'm accustomed to.

Kurt

Yea thats the other problem....the volume is opinion based without us all running out and buying db meters.

I was shocked when i took off the stock muffler and resonator (resonator was after the muffler)....put a 3" spintech sportsman in their place. Left the stock cats alone....and the truck is A LOT louder. Its not terribly loud, but i wasnt expecting such a difference when leaving the cats alone. This is on my 05 durango with a hemi.

I am sorta scared to take off the cats lol :eek:

The only improvement I saw with the High Flow spun metallic cats was the elimination of the stinky exhaust. I pulled the catted mid pipe as the WB needed to be further downstream from the collector and the first set of cats were in the way.

CTS-V, 03/04 cobra, ZR1....mean much to ya?

Those cars are not overly loud. Yes, they make more horsepower with more free flowing(read louder) exhaust, but in stock form they still make tons of hp. You cant have a quiet system and the best blowing at the same time.

Give up some hp if its that important to you. Car companies do it.

ZR1 is probably my speed. Too late now though lol. .. and I like Mustangs. I dislike the terminator body style so I would never own one of those. I hate the stink but with regular cats on it, it DESTROYED the power. I prolly need an evac kit on it so when I do put high flow cats on, the cats dont get killed by the blow-by from the lose tolerances. But like the toyman says.. they dont make it quieter so still dont know how to beat the issue. :shrug:

The recommendation to go with a OR/H pipe came from the local Ford dealer's performance division. As they said, stock cats where never intended to see "boost". I haven't checked so IDK but are the catted aftermarket mid pipes intended to deal with boosted applications or are they for NA applications?

Ok... I read the whole thing. He puts the twisters to the REAR of the regular mufflers..kinda in the tails. Is that the trick?

Yep. I hear ya on the hf cats Adam. :)
almost ...

- twisters are mufflers that do not restrict the exhaust flow
- he actually has 2 sets of twisters: one set between the mid-pipe and the mufflers, and another after the regular mufflers.
- they are small enough that they can fit pretty much anywhere

if you want to quiet your car without restricting the air flow, and you don't want cats, then adding twisters to your setup sounds like just the ticket

almost ...

- twisters are mufflers that do not restrict the exhaust flow
- he actually has 2 sets of twisters: one set between the mid-pipe and the mufflers, and another after the regular mufflers.
- they are small enough that they can fit pretty much anywhere

if you want to quiet your car without restricting the air flow, and you don't want cats, then adding twisters to your setup sounds like just the ticket

To replicate that setup on a sn95 wont be too pretty IMO. The 2nd set will be visible in the tail pipe section. And seeing as he just bought new tail pipes....i'd hate to ruin the sexy look of them.

johncar.jpg

You can definately do the initial pair before the mufflers, hopefully that'll quiet it down enough? :shrug:

And its news to me that cats dont quiet down the exhaust. :scratch:

I have only had the stock pipe and off road pipes, so i dont know any better.

cats would quiet it down, and they would make it not smell so bad, but keith seems to want to stay away from them ... not really 100% sure why though

My respect is growing for Nate since I took him off "ignore" lol.

"You can definately do the initial pair before the mufflers, hopefully that'll quiet it down enough? "

No.. I mean, my take on his site says the ones after the mufflers are the ones that did the quieting.

Good catch Chris. Yes, my car is exempt from emissions and I have the slip to prove it. :) Because of the loose tolerances, if I DONT have the evac kit on, I blow smoke outta my engine bay NASTY. So it blows out of the exhaust now and I dont see it (not too bad after it burns.) So to go to HF cats, my exhaust will scrape more than it does now AND require an expensive in bay EVAC system so it dont oil down the $$$cats. Make sense? :shrug:

My respect is growing for Nate since I took him off "ignore" lol.

"You can definately do the initial pair before the mufflers, hopefully that'll quiet it down enough? "

No.. I mean, my take on his site says the ones after the mufflers are the ones that did the quieting.

Good catch Chris. Yes, my car is exempt from emissions and I have the slip to prove it. :) Because of the loose tolerances, if I DONT have the evac kit on, I blow smoke outta my engine bay NASTY. So it blows out of the exhaust now and I dont see it (not too bad after it burns.) So to go to HF cats, my exhaust will scrape more than it does now AND require an expensive in bay EVAC system so it dont oil down the $$$cats. Make sense? :shrug:
understood, i guess. :shrug:

did rick choose loose tolerances like that based on your stated goal to make the absolute most power you could make? such loose tolerances are usually reserved for full out race engines that are rebuilt every year or 2. i would be surprised that a builder would recommend something like that on his own for a street engine.

my take is that the twisters quiet it down wherever they are, that his mufflers are very loud by themselves, and that it took 2 xtra sets up twisters on each side to quiet it down enough to his liking. i do NOT believe that the set before the mufflers did nothing, they just didn't do enough by themselves.

and i DO believe that a set where your cats would normally be would quiet yours down.

Ik. My take is that he put the twisters b4 the first set of valve thingys bc he wanted to not get pulled over for TOO loud on the first setting:

"Next are a set of Flo-Pro Twister Mufflers. I love these mufflers. Alone they provide as much silencing as most muffles but provide practically zero back pressure. What is funny is practically nobody I know has ever heard/used these mufflers. I run them on everything I have! I use this first set as a resonator and so that the bypass valves will be "legal" when open."

Right? ruff ruff! :)