How do i remove the belt tensioner?

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by hollywoodstang, Dec 16, 2008.

1. hollywoodstang

hollywoodstang Active Member

How do you remove the tensioner on our cars?

I need to change the tensioner pulley. How do i go about doing this?

I loosen/take out the belt and what? Can i change the tensioner pulley without taking out the tensioner itself? and on the tensioner pulley itself there is a bolt do i turn that bolt clockwise or counter-clock wise?

Thanks guys:nice:
  2. blksn955.o

blksn955.o Founding Member

You will need a Torx bit to remove it. I can not recall what exact size it is but it comes out like a regular bolt.
  3. hollywoodstang

Do i take the pulley out first? or the whole tensioner? do i turn the pulley bolt counter clockwise or clockwise?

thanks
  4. revhead347

revhead347 I have face herpes.

Pulley bolt comes off regular counter clockwise. The tensioner comes off with a big torx bit, can't remember the size. Torx bits usually come off in a set anyway. It's probably easier to take the pulley off with the tensioner still on the engine.

Kurt
  5. HISSIN50

HISSIN50 "How long does it take to get help in here? SN Certified Technician

FWIW, my tensioner pulley is held on with something close to a 15 mm head bolt (IIRC).

The idler pulley (between the alt and PS) has a T50 or so Torx head.

And Kurt and the others have you covered on the tensioner fastener situation. :nice: I get it and the fox confused and wouldn't even post further info...... (e.g., for searchers, a fox tensioner pulley comes off with a left hand thread IIRC, whereas a 94-95 tensioner pulley comes off with a conventional thread, as Kurt noted).
  6. hollywoodstang