How do I remove the tie rod and ball joint?

• Sponsors (?)

use the the fork to remove the spindle from the control arm. For the outer tierods you just loosen the nut behind it and then unscrew it. Real simple but put some tape on it to mark how far the tierod was screwed in. This will keep your alignment somewhat normal. That way it won't be to far off for your drive to the shop.

if your replacing balljoints i would recommend the 03 cobra control arms. Makes the install much easier, plus you get new bushings.

You could use a pickle fork on the tie rod (though you might have to shim the fork so it fits the smaller tie rod surface).

Or Remove the nut on the tie rod. Then I just hit it with a 4# hammer to knock it out of the spindle.

Or you can use a pitman puller on the tie rod.

Amazingly enough you do not need a pickle fork on most of these tapered joints. If you use a hammer to strike the sides of the steering knuckle right where the joint goes through it will drop right out. You will not damage the knuckle at all. Just keep striking it right below where the castle nut was at all around, 5-10 hits and it will drop.

like he said above,a pickle fork to seperate the spindle from control arm.
or do you mean getting the ball joints out of the control arm ?
try this..click on link below.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I hate to bring this one up from the dead but I am having one hell of a time removing the ball joints. I went so far as to purchasing the same kit from Harbor Freight and just want to see if anyone has actually used to remove their ball joints.

I've tried just about every configuration imaginable with that kit and it just doesn't seem to do a thing. I am just hoping that I don't need any type of adapter kit like this: 14 Piece Master Ball Joint Adapter Set

I hate to bring this one up from the dead but I am having one hell of a time removing the ball joints. I went so far as to purchasing the same kit from Harbor Freight and just want to see if anyone has actually used to remove their ball joints.

I've tried just about every configuration imaginable with that kit and it just doesn't seem to do a thing. I am just hoping that I don't need any type of adapter kit like this: 14 Piece Master Ball Joint Adapter Set

use a bfh.

Thanks for the information.

I was able to finally get that sucker out. It all boiled down to piecing this tool together in the wrong fashion. I put together a junky diagram that should help to clear this up for any other idiots like me.

Attachments

• Ball joint remover2.JPG
    Ball joint remover2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 209