How do I test sensors?

kowalczyk86

Apr 26, 2010
I am getting a code 13, and I replaced my IAC valve, and I am still getting it. The check engine light only seems to some on sporadically so it seems to me that there is a bad sensor somewhere. The car runs perfect, I just don't know how to go about testing for bad sensors.. There seems to be a lot.. I know the MAF could be one (I think there might be a tiny bit of corrosion on the sensor contacts), but how do I determine which ones are bad?

• Sponsors (?)

Code 13 Key on Engine running - Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly (generally idle too high)

If your idle is above 725 RPM, the computer will set this code. Normal idle speed is 650-725 RPM. Higher than that may mean that you have a vacuum leak or someone has mechanically set the idle speed by use of the idle speed screw. This effectively disables to computer’s ability to control idle speed.

The computer has built in diagnostic routines that run constantly. When you dump the codes, the stored results of those diagnostic tests are made available as codes.

Did you dump the engine running codes? That will help spot codes that come and go when the engine is running.

I just ran the scanner and cannot get any codes EO or ER. I can tell that the motor picked up a scanner because with EO I heard the relays go off, and with ER it revved up.

I noticed there were a couple small drops of antifreeze on the ground so there is another problem I have to fix. On top of the the sensor wires on the antifreeze container look like they got hit with some battery acid somehow. The outside sleeve that protects the wires was eaten through but it looks like the wires themselves are fine.

Car runs right at 750 RPM idling, and sensor comes on sporadically when I am driving.

Idling seems like it has nothing to do with this problem, and I am trying to figure out why I cannot get any codes at all. Initially the guy at Autozone got the code 67 and 13 - now I can't get anything.

I ran the test with clutch in neutral just as it said.

Let's start off by making sure you have the correct wires jumpered or plugged into the code reader. Use the jumper wire technique to make sure your scanner isn't defective.

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 19-May-2009 to update drawing for dumping the codes on 86-88 Mustangs with no check engine light.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

If that checks out OK, you will need to supply the model year of your Mustang. The wiring changed several times along with the wire color codes. Once you have posted the model year, I will post the correct version of "Computer will not go into diagnostic mode" for your year car.

Try dropping your idle a tad. With the engine running unplug your iac. If the engine doesn't stall, the idle stop screw might be set too high.

With the iac unplugged, use amscrewdriver or nut driver to back out the screw and lower idle. Do it to the point right where the engine runs fine, but any lower would make it stall out.

Now, disconnect the battery for 30 mins, then hook it up and plug the iac back in and fire it up. Give it some time to relearn idle

This will wipe out any stored codes, so you might want to drive for a day or two before going to run them.

Oh, I highly recommend the 3145 code reader listed above. Cheap and makes code reading easy as pie

So I got a $30 reader from Autozone..

I am not sure where the guy prior to me was getting a code 13, but it seems like I am getting either a 11 or a 22. I am leaning toward an 11, but if I do, what is causing the check engine light?

KOEO:

BEEP - BEEP
PAUSE
BEEP - BEEP

VERY LONG PAUSE

BEEP - BEEP
BEEP - BEEP

KOER:

BEEP - BEEP
PAUSE
BEEP - BEEP

I am leaning towards 11s because the continuous memory code is sent twice and so is the KOER test..

All 3 types of codes are sent twice, KOEO, CM and KOER

There is a single beep/blink separator between KOEO and CM

I'm leaning to a code 22, as there is a long pause between individual numbers and they repeat two times.

Code 22 is a MAP/BAP sensor code

Which code reader did you get? Kinda hard to say for sure unless you have the timing of the beeps right. That's why i prefer the 3145 reader...it shows number codes..and is $20

Sounds good, I ordered the Equus and it will be here Friday. I'll take the other back to Autozone. I ran the test a couple times, but I am still not sure if it is a 22 or an 11. I shall know soon enough. I appreciate all the input, and I'll report back when I have more info.

Shawn